Controlling the Salt Chlorine Generator

ErikDIY

Apr 26, 2024
St. Louis, MO
Backgound Info - I'm new to pools but an ambitious DIYer. I'm installing an AG 19K gal pool myself. The pool equipment is about 20 ft. away and 4 ft. above the surface of the water. Pool equipment is inground grade, Black and Decker 1.5 HP VS, Pentair Sand Filter. Pool will have a main drain. The pump is controlled by an attached panel but has an optional automation adapter if desired.

The salt chlorine generator I was sold is a Solaxx Retro Jet.
New member Link deleted.. Jim R.

How are chlorine generators turned on and off to coincide with the pump running? The instructions say to place is on a timer matching the run schedule of the pump. This seems like a cheesy work around. I see some salt chlorine control boxes that a single/two speed pump plugs into. When the timer turn on the salt generator a relay turns on the pump. I would like it the other way around. When the pump turns on(at any speed) a relay turns the power on to salt/chlorine generator. Can someone school me on how this is done?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your pump may have relay connections within the pump specifically for controlling power to a SWG. If not, you'll need to connect them both to the same power source. It is not an exact science. Your instructions are "best case scenario" where you run everything off a timer and never go manually.