Zodiac MX6 (elite) review

bcinsd

Jul 6, 2015
San Diego, CA
If anyone is interested, I thought I would review the new zodiac pool cleaner I recently installed. I had a Hayward Navigator from forever ago that I had already rebuilt several times and I was intrigued by the "scrubbing" that the Zodiac Elites offer.

I wanted an MX6 elite but figured out that it was just an MX6 with a different turbine. So I purchased a MX6 and a separate elite turbine and installed it ( one easily accessible screw) and for $275 plus tax total, I was on my way.

My pool is kidney ~15x30 SWG 15K gallons. Pentair VS pump. Dedicated suction line. Deep end is about 8 feet.

When I started up mx6, I was immediately impressed that it really did seem to be scrubbing the pool surface. Then I started
dialing in the pump speed. Went from 2300rpm with navigator to 2700 rpm with MX6. I have it set at pretty much maximum speed recommended (10 wheel rotations every 20 seconds) and it climbs the walls well. Its has a weird navigation pattern; every 10 feet or so it rotates around 360 and continues to rotate like another 315 degrees, and then sets off again. It even climbs to the waterline from deep end and I like that it scrubs the tile water line. I wish it would do it more often, it doesn't spend as much time near surface as I'd like . I have rectangular steps at shallow end of pool that tend to get dirty and the MX 6 actually rides the upper part of the wall horizontally and deposits itself on 2 of the lower steps and starts cleaning even sometimes riding horizontally on the step vertical, scrubbing away. It does different stuff all the time on the steps, somewhat randomly, but I'm amazed how it squeezes itself in there. It has yet to get itself stuck anywhere in the pool. I'm impressed by the scrubbing action. There is a noticeable difference when looking at the bottom of of the pool. Not a lot of debris falls into my pool, but the navigator would leave stuff behind. The MX6 leaves it spotless. Its such a difference that believe I will be running the mx 6 much less than the navigator. The navigator ran every day. The MX 6 looks like every other day will work well.

I have no idea regarding longevity, I've only had it a week. i also know its gonna cost some to replace parts, but so did the navigator. We will see. However, my first impression of the MX6 (elite) has been VERY favorable.

Hope this might help someone, like me, who's not ready to take the robot plunge.

MX8 Elite owner here, when its time for some refresh parts, you can save a bit buying brand X bearings, they arent as smooth spinning them by hand, but the cleaner works just as good with them.

Been very happy with mine as well, having a canister to collect all the junk is a great addition to them.

I agree about leaf canister.
I have a zodiac cyclonic with a skimmer sock installed and it really keeps a lot of the debris out of the filters.
MX8 Elite owner here, when its time for some refresh parts, you can save a bit buying brand X bearings, they arent as smooth spinning them by hand, but the cleaner works just as good with them.

Been very happy with mine as well, having a canister to collect all the junk is a great addition to them.

I have the MX6 for almost 2 years now - happy with it. It does a good job cleaning and if it's not sucking up everything on the bottom of the pool, it certainly stirs it up. I haven't needed to vacuum the pool bottom like I had to before the MX6. It really showed when some of the Zodiac hoses started breaking and when I took the broken hose links out, the Mx6 didn't reach all the way to the shallow end; when I checked a week later there was a layer of fine sediment where the MX6 didn't reach but the pool bottom was clean everywhere else. Another testimony of the suction power of the MX6, I have found amounts of sediment in the Zodiac Cyclonic Leaf Catcher. BTW, after experimenting, I found the MX6 could run well enough with my variable speed pump set at 1800. Didn't meet the number of turns test but it works ok.

The one bad thing - as mentioned above - the Zodiac hoses started breaking; they didn't seem to last very long and they are proprietary, having a unique connection link. That wouldn't be a big problem if the hoses weren't so dang expensive - $25 for one 4 foot Zodiac hose at Amazon. I understand some people have replaced the proprietary Zodiac hoses with lower cost alternatives and I have another thread called Pool Cleaner Hoses discussing this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.