Zodiac Duoclear 130

candent99

May 30, 2019
ontario
We have not been using our SWG for at least the past 2 years. My husband "did the math" and stated that we would need a new cartridge for $500 to get it operational. Does a SWG actually save money considering how quickly these seem to fail and need additional investment? Especially given time of use electricity levies, I'm not sure. I'm rethinking my solar heating for the same reason. Perhaps installing a gas heater and running it at night when time of use is less is actually a good idea, especially given our short swim season in Canada. My husband is also thinking our Enersol solar panels are getting pretty tired (installed 2006) and often need maintenance to stop leaks which drives him crazy. Thoughts?

SWGs end up being a wash over just using liquid chlorine. However, the "cartridge" lasts a lot longer if your water parameters are correct. Very few people with SWGs would ever get rid of them. You guys are the exception!

Biggest bang for your buck in heating is a solar cover put on religiously after each swim. It retains what you have. You will lose more heat at night than you gain with solar without a solar cover.

There is no ROI on solar heat at all and never will be.

We are too lazy to put on a solar cover after swimming. With our kidney shaped pool and living in the country, the pool is fenced in a kidney shape with no room for a reel so putting the cover on and off was just not happening. So we should invest in a new cartridge and switch back to SWG? Could you explain what you mean by no ROI with solar? The investment in the panels is already made and I do find it works, just not at the start and end of the season but I mostly care about the start. Are you saying that the electricity used to run the pump and thus the solar, I'd be better off investing in a gas heater and running it at night? That is what I'm wondering.

I am too lazy for the cover too I used it 2 times. I have a gas heater though that can heat my 29k gallon pool 1-2 degrees per hour. If it was me I would fix the SWG cell and use it again for convenience alone.

If you already have the solar heater then its costs are minimal to run it depending on your pump. If you have a single speed pump and run it 24x7 is can be upwards of $200/month in electricity. The cost of installing solar generally has no ROI. But there are other reasons that money to buy it. Buying and installing a gas heater to have it all done is going to run $5000 or so. It depends on the gas line. I have seen people get smacked with a $5000 bill just to run 100 feet of gas line. As far as when to run it that depends do you get better gas rates at night? Whatever heater you use you will lose heat at night with no solar cover. Gas can easily keep up with the loss. Heat pumps somewhat. But depending on nighttime temps, your solar probably can't even keep up with nightly losses. Gas is the only heater that is going to extend your season.

I run my heater when I want to swim. I heat to 90. So if we are not going to swim during the week, we turn it off. This time of year the pool has been dropping into the upper 70's if I leave the pool off for 3-4 days. So we need to go from 78 to 90, or 12 degrees. My heater takes around 6 hours to do this at a cost of @ $5/hour to run. So it costs us @ $30 to heat to 90.

Also I see you are new here welcome! Please fill out your signature line with your pool details to allow us to better help you. -> https://www.troublefreepool.com/account/signature

How are you testing your pool to determine the proper chlorine and other chemical additions? This site believes in owner testing with a proper test kit, the TF-100, which contains lab grade reagents. We do not advocate pool store testing for any reason as it is highly inaccurate and many pool stores use their results to sell you magic potions that mask your issues.

This was what the pool
Company recommended and sold me. Is the size of the cell based on the pool volume? I think we used it for 3 seasons and then it died so maybe that is normal? I test using a proper kit for everything except CYA because that kit was almost $200. So for that number I go by the pool store. Using liquid chlorine and following the instructions per this website has been so much more predictable than bringing in a water sample to our pool store. We started that partway through last summer; I feel like I’ve been living under a rock knowing so little about all this stuff in the past!

Your pool company has zero knowledge on salt systems, undersizing a cell means it has to run at a higher percentage, higher percentage means shorter life. Higher bather load and warm water means more demand, demand that an undersized cell can’t produce. I’ve replaced a lot of duo clear systems with aqua rite t-15 cells. Those owners like you had major concerns but once converted, they saw the benefits of a good salt system.

Do your research. I’m a big aquarite promoter but lots use differing systems. You need a cell that is rated for twice your volume of water. 18,000 gallons would be a t-15 cell which is rated for 40,000 gallons.

It’s like hunting with a 22 versus a 30/30.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.