Zodiac Baracuda pressure drop & air in cartridge filter

SN$$$

Mar 11, 2019
Phoenix
Hi all,

I am new to pool world (6months) and have been having some issues with the return line, Zodiac Baracuda & air in cartridge filter. The pool was recently remodeled and they added in an addition suction line for the Baracuda and kept the existing skimmer/return lines as they where. When running on the skimmer the pump is fully primed and no air builds within the filter.

Once I turn to the Baracuda the water level drops within the pump (half way) and air starts to fill the filter. Also the pressure drops from 10 to 5 PSI on the filters gauge.

I have already replaced all the Baracuda hoses to eliminate that potential cause and still have the issue.

Does anyone know what the issue could be and what other checks I could preform to find the cause?

Thanks and happy Friday :)

When you turn on the Baracuda does the pump sounds like its full of small rocks? Also, when you say turn on the suction line, are you closing the skimmers or leaving them open all or halfway? What is your valve set up going into the pump? Put a list of all your equipment in your signature as it will make it easier for people to help you down the road.

Hi Djdonte,

No it does not sound like its full of small rocks but when on skimmer the pump is fully primed and once turned to vacuum the water drops and there is a deeper noise from the motor. If we turn the valve 3/4 open to the vacuum then the PSI stays at 10 & the motor stay nearly fully primed but vacuum cannot travel up the walls. If turned slightly more towards the vacuum then water and PSI drop to 7-8 and it climbs the walls but the filter fills with air.

Also just to note its a very old pool and the skimmer/return lines are smaller than the new suction line.

Thanks and I added my info in the signature :)

Can you post a picture of your valve setup going into the pump? What are the pipe sizes for the skimmer and cleaner line? Sounds like the pump is starving (and possibly cavitating), due to either a blockage in the line, or the vacuum pipe just not supplying enough water. Also, if your cleaner is getting too much suction, it can break the waterline and suck in air. If there is any damage to those hoses, that could introduce air as well. I have a zodiac MX8 elite, and although mine is brand new, I have read about the hoses leaking, as well as coming apart and looking like a slinky.

I had this issue when I first bought my house and inherited the pool. One skimmer would work fine, the 3 way open to both skimmers worked fine, but when I turned it to the other skimmer my pump would drop to half full and make awful noises, eventually losing prime. I had a ton of leaves jamming the line right at the elbow coming off the skimmer. Once I fixed it with a drain king all was good. My pool was not kept up by the previous owners though, and I find it hard to believe you have a blockage in a brand new line, unless you sucked up a bunch of debris right off the bat. Try running it with just the open suction port to see if it makes any difference.

See if you can get pictures, and go to the stickied thread and watch the video about cavitation to see if that's what your pump sounds like. Maybe some more knowlegable people can chime in on your pump size, maybe its undersized at 3/4hp? I have a 1.5 hp whisperflo for 11300 gallons, although I think mine is a bit overkill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.