Z-Wave / Vera / Smartthings Pool Temperature - Solved

AnAltruist

Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2016
Near Toledo, Ohio
Others and I have been asking if we could somehow see our pool temperatures using a smart home controller. I wanted to let the group know that I can confirm at least one configuration that works well. I have a Smartthings hub (v2) but apparently this works with Vera too. Not Wink, from what I'm reading.

If you know the temperature of the pool you can obviously kick off other things such as a timer, text alerts, etc. I do know there are entire systems that are sold that monitor temperature, chlorine levels, etc but my setup works for me now. Nothing is automated in my current setup other than the jumpers on my Intermec timer.

The first item is a Fibaro open/closed door sensor. It's different than the Smartthings sensor in that it can accept an external temperature probe. Pricey, unfortunately, but it's the only one I could find so far. You're obviously not monitoring an open/closed state but it still polls periodically for temperature. I leave the magnet half in a box in the house.
Fibaro Door/Window Sensor

The second item is a DS18B20 waterproof temperature sensor and probe. I used the 3 meter cable. I've found no issues with pool chemicals so far.
DROK DS18B20 3M Probe

Essentially you pair the door sensor to your controller like any other device. With this particular door sensor, you click the bottom button three times quickly. Once it is paired to your controller, wire the probe according to the diagram attached. Click the button on the bottom three times again and it activates the probe connection. At this point you can install the sensor and probe as you see fit.

I was able to mount the probe under my diving board. Just to be safe, I wrapped the sensor in a few layers of press-and-seal but it should never get wet. The cable then goes down in front of my board and behind my pool light. It is about 4 feet under water. Interestingly enough, I've also put the probe in my filter basket and get about the same reading plus or minus half a degree. I'm on the fence which place looks less conspicuous.

Now I can see hourly updates of my pool temperature (more if the temp changes significantly). It's interesting to see my temperature loss during the night. Sad that it's just in time to tell me that the pool will be closing soon. Certainly time to turn on the heater.

Hope this is helpful to everyone!

fibaro-wiring.jpg
smartthings-pool-temp.jpg

Very cool. I have a vera edge, which doesn't do too much yet - new pool install took my focus away this summer. I want to look at connecting my AutoPilot TotalControl syetm to it at some point - I would need to develop some h/w and s/w to do so, but could be a good winter project.

can you post your device type? or you using the standard smartthings device type for the door sensor?

I added the device using the standard detection method. It detected it as a "Fibaro Door/Window Sensor." I may swap it out for the custom device type here:
Full Support Handler - Community Created Device Types - SmartThings Community

It will show more on the main display using the custom device type. Right now I have to go to the activity page to see temperature.

I just ordered the components to do something similar - the same Fibaro door / window sensor, and the DS18B20 1-wire waterproof temperature probes. My plan is to put the door sensor in some sort of waterproof enclosure (maybe even a water bottle) and hang two sensors out through epoxy - to get two different depths - then float the whole thing, either tied to the deep end ladder, or free floating.

Glad to see somebody else having some success with this plan. I'm hoping to find a nice small waterproof tube to put everything in... I have a vision of how big it should be, and as long as it floats, I think I'm golden.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for being oblivious that this thread had activity. I would definitely try the custom device handler if you aren't doing this already. Also, depending on the order of pairing the device, connecting the wires, activating the wires, etc, it may be helpful to reset the device. I had to do this once when my Smarthings hub went crazy after a firmware update several months ago.

It is still working great for me. My device list in "My Home" shows the temperature on the right side. I can even add it to the favorites dashboard as part of the recent Smartthings app update.

From the manual available here.

Resetting the Fibaro Door/Window Sensor
There is one way to reset the Fibaro Door/Window Sensor. Theprocedure cleans its EPROM memory, including the main controllerand Z-Wave network data.To reset the Fibaro Door/Window Sensor please follow belowinstructions:
1) Take off the Sensor's cover and remove battery. Make sure the TMP button is intact.
2) Touch the Sensor's body with a magnet,
3) Insert the battery,
4) Remove the magnet from the Sensor's body,
5) Remove the battery6) Re-install the battery,
7) Reset will be confirmed by double LED blink

^I know you posted this question way back last fall, but yes, it works with smartthings hub and ergo Alexa if you ave Alexa integrated with your st hub. IME, the device handler for st (community code) may be a bit buggy and I've not personally been able to separate pool temp reading from device open status...but I haven't spent that long tweaking it yet either ;)

I had some difficulty with this as I was unable to get the sensor to exclude after the original install on my SmartThings hub & app. What I learned when using the Classic ST app, I had to go to the More menu and tap on Hub, then go to Z-Wave Utilities, then tap on General Device Exclusion. Then tap on Remove. At that point I was able to click the Fibaro TMP button on the bottom of the sensor and it was excluded from my hub. Then I when thru the inclusion process and the temperature probe was recognized. I also logged on to my ST account and manually added the JJ device handler to the device screen. After much frustration trying to exclude/include and resetting the sensor, I have the device working and am a happy camper. I hope the device will talk to my hub once it is outside.

Greetings,
When getting this to work, what I had to do was attach the DROK DS18B20 3M Probe to the sensor (it seems the yellow wire is the neutral "black wire" it seems) and reset the sensor to get it to recognize the temperature probe. The only thing is, no matter what device type I use in Smartthings, the temperature takes hourse to update. Also, I have a mercury thermometer floating in the pond which reads around 14c, but the temperature in the Smartthings app shows 9.4c. This is a big difference in accuracy. I will try another thermometer and see if this is still the same. Yes... the probe is at the same level at the floating thermometer as they are side by side too. The sensor is just wrapped in a plastic bag... no magnet (does this matter?).

Francis :)

So as an update... it now correctly updates temperatures frequently. I may have had it too far from the hub in my pond. The only issue is now I have a big discrepancy in temperature readings as compared to a regular thermometer.

Is there a way using the current device handler to correct the temperature of the ds probe? I'm no programmer and took a look thru the code for somethings that stood out to change, but didn't see anything.

A Couple questions - Sorry if I missed the answers in the thread.. How often does it update the temperature, and, how long has the battery lasted you? I had built my own using the same thermometer, an arduino pro mini, and connected it to my vera with some code from MySensors.org, but this year, I have it all taken apart to hopefully make it solar recharging when I saw this post, and wondered if I should just make it with off the shelf parts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.