Your Daily Bleach Amount

EddieO

May 5, 2012
Crestwood Ky
I asked this last year and was surprised by the answers. How much chlorine do you add daily?
I add almost 128oz of bleach a day.
My pool gets about 8 hours of direct sun.
I just did an overnite test.
CC 1.0
FC .4 loss over night.
CYA 40.
Water is crystal clear.

Eddie

My almost 18K pool, about 1/2 gal per day. For me that's about 2.5ppm in 24hrs. That's my yardstick. If I need less the next day, great. If I need more, then I have to ask why? More swimming, odd weather, debris, CYA too low, etc?

Eddie, you should add your location to your profile as well. That will give us an indication of how intense the sun is in your region and what CYA might be ideal for you. Also, keep an eye on the CCs. They're a bit elevated, but might be temporary depending on what's been happening in your area.

Lately, it has been very sunny here and abnormally warm , around 97 deg.
Pool covered at night and direct sun all day, uncovered.
CYA at 40, which I am raising to 50 today.
At my 40 PPM cya level and adjusting my FC with 12.5 %, I have been adding anywhere from 28 to 34 ounces.
I usually check and adjust around 5 pm.

If my previous day addition of chlorine does in fact raise it to 5ppm as what the calculator says it should be, I get a reading of somewhere of 2.6 the next day, always lower than minimum as to why I am raising the CYA to 50ppm.So right now I lose 2.4ppm in 24 hours.
cya -40ppm
ph- 7.6
C chlorine, 0 or 0.2,(varies)

TA- 120

Close to 275 TA fill water, used acid every spring
PH stays pretty stable during summer, may have to add acid once, 32 oz , so leaving it at 120 mostly.
I don't recall anyone adding that much from reading posts if pool does not have an algae issue

What a timely post! Now that my CYA is under control at 50, I’m adding a lot less bleach than I did last summer.

Sat night/Sun morning I performed an OCLT. Lost 1 FC overnight. By Sunday evening, I had lost another 1 FC, and that is with plenty of direct sunlight and a few hours of swimming.

If this his pattern holds, I’ll be adding just 24 oz a night of 10% to bring FC back up. A far cry from what I was adding last summer when we had 100+ CYA.

Once my pool temps are above 60 degrees f my FC loss in 24 hours is at 1ppm or less. Only now with water temps in the mid 70s, more sunlight and warmer air temps I see a slight rise is FC loss but not quite 1.5ppm in 24 hours. Last year at peak summer with CYA at 40ppm my maximum FC loss was 2ppm/24 hrs on average. Of course it will be higher if swimmer load is high or wind loads the pool with debris. I use 10% liquid so when swim season starts the demand is 42oz avg. per day and rises to 64 oz per day at peak. That makes my weekly use between 2 1/3 gallons to 3.5 gallons per week at peak. I also make a point not to get behind early in the season when the water temp warms above 60 degrees and I raise and maintain my FC at the high end of my target range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.