Your advice: fixing small leak in Anthony Apollo VA-38 Pool Filter

bostonpool

May 29, 2017
Worcester, MA
Hi folks.
I’ve got an older Anthony Apollo VA-38 Filter. Overall it’s working well. But I’ve noticed I’ve got a slow drip coming from the two spots where the filter tank connects to the back flush valve. Right now it looks like these are connected with a black rubber gasket and two hose clamps.

Is fixing this small leak as simple as taking these out, cleaning (or replacing), and then re-tightening?

Any words of caution or advice?
Thanks! Photos below46FFBA71-F7D7-4D50-8FB2-D4AAFAFC86F2.jpeg5D6248C2-7BF4-4001-847F-4CA940DE2E93.jpeg

Looks like they used nylon braid reinforced hose. I would take that off, clean it well and put it back on with new clamps if the sealing surfaces look good.

If you think the hoses need replacing, I would look at some Fernco Shielded Couplings. You should be able to find them locally or online. They look like they're probably 1½".

I remember replacing both black reinforced hoses on mine 10 yrs ago at Home Depot (with new clamps) and a bit of teflon paste for a tighter fit. A year ago replaced the filter with a new Pentair setup, as backwash valves were leaking and no spare parts to find. I am a very frugal person but at some point that DE filter became a time bomb, being so close to my house/danger of flooding the basement. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.