Yet another "how do I" thread (but at least I am a supporter now :))

okay to be clear I should add the recommended amount of water. I also plan on substituting bond agent for water in the first batch that will be poured on directly to the existing gunite.

I think I understand now, watched a short video. Mix it to thick milk shake consistency and then add the packet.

The form is done. Finding the right material was the most "difficult'.I will post a few pictures later.

I am not worried about smooth finish since pebble tec will be on top, but because I am who I am I am going to do this anyway...why not lol.

1) You should really try to do the pour in as few pours as possible Doesn't look like much volume, so depending on the volume of your mixer maybe you could get it with a single batch.

2) Why are you replacing all the water with bonding adhesive? That may not be a great idea in conjunction with using a plasticizer, as the bonding adhesive has some plasticizing properties of it's own. It's also generally not recommended to replace all of the water with a bonding adhesive, most of them specify a maximum adhesive to water ratio, often 1:1 or 1:2. Adding bonding adhesive to the mix will only aid the adhesion slightly, and the other benefits like decreased shrinkage cracking and increased water resistance aren't really something you need to worry about for this application. Painting on the bonding adhesive on either by itself or in a slurry with a little portland before the pour will help a lot more with bonding than adding it in your mix.

3) In general you want the end product to be somewhat of a milkshake consistency, and the packet of plasticizer will change the consistency to be much thinner. I'd mix to a thicker consistency so that it's milkshake consistency after the plasticizer is added. Better yet, carefully measure all your weights instead of trying to eyeball the consistency, especially if you don't mix concrete/mortar on a regular basis.

4) As Brian mentioned, the rougher the better. You want some texture for the plaster/pebble to be able to grip on to.

Reactions: bdavis466
Yes leave it rough if you are plastering I thought you were trying to patch and blend into the existing pool. If you have one single form you wont need plasticizers at all. Mix like directions say and dont add bond agent to the batch. Do as minerjason recommends with either a slurry coat or straight onto the clean gunite. Wash it first you want zero dust anywhere that's what fails repair bonds. You are overthinking the strength part it will ne fine with some rebar and high quality mix. Gunite is no different just the application is different. Make sure your new rebar is pinned well I would use epoxy to set it to existing shell for insurance

Yes leave it rough if you are plastering I thought you were trying to patch and blend into the existing pool. If you have one single form you wont need plasticizers at all. Mix like directions say and dont add bond agent to the batch. Do as minerjason recommends with either a slurry coat or straight onto the clean gunite. Wash it first you want zero dust anywhere that's what fails repair bonds. You are overthinking the strength part it will ne fine with some rebar and high quality mix. Gunite is no different just the application is different. Make sure your new rebar is pinned well I would use epoxy to set it to existing shell for insurance

It turned out very well, I was blessed. Boy that rapid set mortar is no joke rapid means rapid! The very first batch my cordless started to overheat so I quickly went to the neighbors and borrowed a drill and paddle, by the time I got back (2-3 minutes?) the mortar was SET. Mortar 1 me 0. This was a good wake up call for me.
1. I laid out all of my materials / supplies, pre-measured mix / water so there would be no delays, but Eyeballing water /mix worked best for me
2. This is a two person job IMO, but I tackled on my own.
3. I mixed many multiple batches. My drill was not strong enough to mix more than 1/2 a bag at a time, if even that much. I ended up using 7 55lb bags!
4. Consistency before plasticizer was a thicker than milkshake / closer to a frozen milkshake pulled out of the freezer a few minutes earlier.
5. I added enough plasticizer until it was almost as thin as water. I did this because of fast set time and the number of batches required.
6. I did not plan on replacing the water with bonding agent. I added a little to each batch. I also painted it on the existing surface.
7. The form worked very well. To my surprise I had it tight enough so that none of the mortar liquid would seep out.

Overall I cannot complain, it turned out very nice! Better than I expected actually. And it is solid, no cracks or anomalies. I will post a few pictures ASAP. My back and body were completely wiped out for a few days after.

To finish the seat I now need to pebble tec. I will be using pebble-patch. Let's see how good this product is, I have read mixed reviews.

Thanks guys for all of your advice, help and patience! I would not have even thought about doing this without your guidance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.