Yellow / Orange Stairs and Skimmer Plate

Jul 26, 2017
Queen Creek AZ
Hi. I saw some green lines in my pool so I SLAMed the pool and it is now blue and crystal clear again. Unfortunately everything under the water line that was once bright white is now an orangey color. Can anyone please advise what this could be and how to remove it? We have showings on our house tomorrow morning so if there is a quick fix, I'd greatly appreciate it! Many thanks!

Try putting some vitamin c tablets on it and see if it lightens. If it does, the high FC levels likely pulled metal out of your water and stained the surfaces. You would need to do an ascorbic acid treatment for the whole pool.

jbizzle is correct in suspecting iron in the water. If it is indeed metals, I would proceed as he suggests as a quick fix.
However, keep in mind that the ascorbic and citric acid based stain removers will dead your chlorine level. You're in good hands with the SWG, maybe keep it low and increase slowly until you're back to a good Cl residual. Also, be sure to follow up with a sequesterant and backwash your (advantageous) DE filter once the problem clears. More frequent backwashing may also behoove you, as you are backwashing the sequestered metals out of the equation. Depending on how much iron is in the water, you should get some nice autumn colors in the sight glass. If the fill water is from a well, you may want to look into the available solutions for removing the metals from your fill water, be it a hose attachment to a full fledged well filter system.

There's actually a few more steps you can take, but first confirm that it is metals causing the staining.

Ahh, the old cycle of iron staining.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.