Yellow algae or pollen

Mctwist937

Jun 5, 2016
Orange, CT
Is there any way to tell if this is algae or pollen? I have been slamming for a few days. Water mostly clear, still a few PPM OCLT loss. Spots like this are visible where the return flows settle mostly. But also on some steps I noticed.

155476A0-B021-4F61-984A-DADAD06B5756.jpeg

I passed my OCLT last night with 0.0 loss. but that stuff is still settling below the jets. I have no idea what it is or what to do about it. My only thought is pollen that went through the sand filter and shot back into the pool and sank.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be or what I should do about it?

Thanks

Mustard algae grows in the shaded areas of the pool, usually a south wall. It can get out of control and be everywhere, but it will start in the shaded south walls. If it doesn't move with a brush, it is a stain. If it moves, most likely pollen.

Yeah we have pollen everywhere when I brush it it seems to make it’s way through the filter and back to the bottom the next day, I’ll wait it out and try vac to waste thanks.
Then something is wrong with your filter. My cartridge filter will catch most pollen. A sand filter should catch pollen.

Yeah, what red-beard said. Pollen is sticky. If your car is covered with pollen and you drive it around, it will still be covered in pollen. I have a sand filter and a ton of pollen in early spring, and I've never seen pollen coming out of the returns. Unless there is something really wrong with your filter, it almost has to be something else.

I got yellow pollen in the bottom of my pool this year. I think it just settled from floating on the water. The yellow pollen in my area is done now and I haven’t seen anything yellow on my pool bottom since then. I have several mature pine trees right next to my pool and I would bet that you have pines close by as well if your seeing it on the bottom of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.