Year round or not...

Thanks James, there's a Leslie's 3 miles from me that shows up as a cell tester.

My electronic receipt shows "Chlorinator Pro LLC" for $399 on April 08, 2021. Just went there and saw I'm out of their a 2 yr warranty period and the price is now $579.

So, anyone have experience with:
Calimar 40k with 2 yr warranty @ $435
Calimar 40k with 1 yr warranty @ $345 ($90 for a 1 yr upgrade, no confidence in their product?)
Platinum Edition Replacement T-cell-15 with 5 yr warranty @ $359

I have thought about dropping back to a T-9 as my pool is 18k, but that would preclude me from emergency swaps with our son as his pool is 40k. In theory, should a T-15 last longer than a T-9 because of the lesser duty cycle?

BTW, I'm not averse to spending $900 for a Hayward cell, my first two lasted 7 years each...

Russ

In theory, should a T-15 last longer than a T-9 because of the lesser duty cycle?
Yes. A larger unit needs to run proportionatly less to produce the same FC. What a 1x unit does in 12 hours, a 2x unit will do in 6 and a 3x unit will do in 4. (Etc etc / equivalent maths).

Less run time equals less hours off the finite lifespan. Make sure whatever you go with lists the rated production hours. You could end up with a 3k unit thinking its 7k or 10k. The price may still be unbeatable at 3k, but do your due diligence.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Dang, I've never seen that spec listed. I'll be making some calls!

Thanks!

Russ
Calimar doesn’t list their cell life ratings or outputs- I called multiple dealers, while very responsive, no one had answers. Couldn’t ever reach Calimar directly.
The platinum edition from saltpoolstore is an iffy thing- several folks have said the warranty is not worth the paper it’s printed on as they have a hard time getting warranty help.
Hayward, Circupool, optimum simple cell & pureline list their cell hour ratings & chlorine output out in the open.

Reactions: Newdude
I "chatted" with a rep on the Platinum, it's a pro-rated warranty with free replacement for year one, then a sliding scale to 70% on year five. The response when I asked who/what determines the fault, was a link to their warranty claim papers that seemed like the typical circular kind of thing. Fill out papers, submit info and hope for a reply. I'll order a Hayward tomorrow...

Russ

Hey JamesW, that was the bomb on setting the cell value to T-9. Currently showing 3600 and generating enough that it jumped me up to 20TC/20FC so I was able to set it back to 20%. New cell is here but I'll wait until this one is thoroughly depleted before changing. Which brings me to new questions:

What actually happens when setting the cell from T-15 to T-9? Does the cell see less volts/amps, ergo less chlorine produced? Any potential damage to the mainboard?

Have you ever "gone all the way" and tried T-3?

Thanks!

Russ

Thought I'd post back and let ya'll know there was a "part II" to the case of the rising water. It wasn't just excess rain, apparently my fill valve suffered some internal rot. I had gotten down there and put my ear on it with the pump off awhile back and couldn't tell. I decided to change it "just in case" and it wouldn't hold air pressure. New valve holding good so far!

Russ

Attachments

• 20191204_123431_resized.jpg
    20191204_123431_resized.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.