Year of owning a pool and cant get it clear.

Have you thought about draining and starting over ? If your CYA level is too high it's going to be you only choice.

Yes think it might be worthwhile, the cost and effort of trying to get it right again its easier just to drain and start over.

So I dont make the same mistake again, what steps do I need to take after filling. Last time I just put in a load of granular chlorine until the test kit said the levels were correct and then adjusted the ph after that. Should I go with the liquid chlorine instead?

Thanks

I agree on draining and starting over. If you have any visible algae get it cleaned up with water and bleach after you drain.
I would like to see you use liquid chlorine, bleach to chlorinate with.
Before you drain get some stabilizer (CYA ) to have on hand. You'll have to go to pool store to get it. Buy nothing else. Just stabilizer. Also get bleach to have on hand.
Check your fill waters PH so you now if you need to adjust.
Once pool is filled
1. Add enough stabilizer to get you to 50 ppm. Put the stabilizer in a stocking and hang it in front of a return with pump running. Let pump run until it is all dissolved. Hint give it a squeeze every once in a while to help it along. Use pool math to figure out how much to add. You have no way to test this level so just assume it's there. calc.html
2. Add enough bleach to get your FC level to 3 ppm. Pour your bleach slowly in front of the return with pump running. Use that method every time you add bleach. After the stabilizer is all dissolved bring it up to 6 ppm pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock. Look at this chart. You min FC level is 4 for your CYA level of 50. You can't let it fall below 4. When you add your bleach do it a night when the sun is off the pool. You can shoot for a higher level say 8. That will allow you some wiggle room so you don't fall below 4.
You will use pool math to figure out how much bleach to add daily. Take a look at it and play with so you get use to using it. Just add your pool water volume and the levels your shooting for and hit calc. calc.html
I know it may seem difficult but it's not. Any questions just ask.

Thanks for that,sorry have been away on holiday so couldnt respond. Hence on my return I now have a lovely green pool :-(
So I`m going to drain the pool today and start fresh. I`ve read up a bit about the stabilizer but I`m just not sure if its available where I am here in Argentina.
I`ve search a bit and came up with this.. its translated from spanish , but has a similar effect to a stabilzer by the looks of it
http://translate.google.com/transla...ww.hthclorotec.com.ar/prod_elevador_plus.html

And for liquid chlorine I can get this locally,
http://www.newcloronline.com.ar/cloro_6_5l.html

thanks for your help

John

pwrstrk said:
I agree on draining and starting over. If you have any visible algae get it cleaned up with water and bleach after you drain.
I would like to see you use liquid chlorine, bleach to chlorinate with.
Before you drain get some stabilizer (CYA ) to have on hand. You'll have to go to pool store to get it. Buy nothing else. Just stabilizer. Also get bleach to have on hand.
Check your fill waters PH so you now if you need to adjust.
Once pool is filled
1. Add enough stabilizer to get you to 50 ppm. Put the stabilizer in a stocking and hang it in front of a return with pump running. Let pump run until it is all dissolved. Hint give it a squeeze every once in a while to help it along. Use pool math to figure out how much to add. You have no way to test this level so just assume it's there. calc.html
2. Add enough bleach to get your FC level to 3 ppm. Pour your bleach slowly in front of the return with pump running. Use that method every time you add bleach. After the stabilizer is all dissolved bring it up to 6 ppm pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock. Look at this chart. You min FC level is 4 for your CYA level of 50. You can't let it fall below 4. When you add your bleach do it a night when the sun is off the pool. You can shoot for a higher level say 8. That will allow you some wiggle room so you don't fall below 4.
You will use pool math to figure out how much bleach to add daily. Take a look at it and play with so you get use to using it. Just add your pool water volume and the levels your shooting for and hit calc. calc.html
I know it may seem difficult but it's not. Any questions just ask.

Your first link is not CYA or stabilizer, it increases the pH of the water. They translate it to say stabilizer but, it is not what we call stabilizer here in the USA.

Check with your pool stores to see if they have granular CYA, it also goes by cyanuric acid, stabilizer or conditioner in the USA. If you can not get CYA, then you will need to chlorinate with Cloro Granulado. You will have to stop using the Cloro Granulado after adding 60 ounces because the Cloro Granulado adds CYA along with chlorine. The chlorine gets used up but the CYA does not and it stays in the water. After adding 60 ounces of Cloro Granulado the CYA should be around 50 ppm and you will need to chlorinate with liquid from the on so the CYA stays at 50 ppm.

The liquid chlorine you linked should work but I could not tell the strength of it. You can also use unscented bleach that you wash your clothes in. Bleach is the same chemical as the chlorine in your link but they might be in different strengths. The strength should be listed on the bottle of what ever type you get.

From the look of things, your biggest mistake has been not having enough chlorine in the pool to prevent your problems. Study and follow our guidelines in Pool School and you will not have these continuing problems that you been having.

I went to the pool store yesterday and tried to explain about the stabilizer , but the guy hadnt even heard of the Cyanuric acid i was looking for.Difficult trying to explain when your spanish aint too good.

Anyway,He gave me 5 litres of liquird chlorine and some algaecide and told me to initially put half the chlorine and algaecide in and then 100ml of algaecide every week and top up the chlorine as needed.

http://translate.google.com/transla...lorotec.com.ar/prod_aguas_verdes.html&act=url
http://translate.google.com/transla...tp://www.newcloronline.com.ar/cloro_6_5l.html

I do have some granualar chlorine which I was using before but using that a few times a week probably caused the problems in the first place, was wondering if I should just keep using liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.