Year 3.. Still fighting Mustard Algae HELP!

ouachita said:
Could someone please clarify the following. To shock for ma you maintain the pool at shock level until you pass the oclt and have .5 or less cc. Then you raise it to ma shock level for 24 hours. Correct? It is not necessary to stay at ma shock levels for the whole process.
If you have ONLY yellow/mustard algae, then I'd go straight to the higher level and keep it there until the algae is gone, but what is most important is to get behind light niches, under removable ladders, clean poles and nets and other equipment, wash swimsuits in soapy water, etc. You have to kill this algae everywhere so that it does not come back. Having it at the higher shock level for more than 24 hours is OK to do and more conservative. The only reason we don't say to always do that is if you've got general cloudy or green water so have multiple types of algae, you want to get rid of the easy stuff first so that you don't expose your pool to the higher shock levels for as long.

THANKS GEEK! :-D
I'm in day 4 of yet another shocking.It's taking around 2 quarts of 73% cal-hypo a day to hold the FC about 30ppm.I've went through my 25lbs of cal-hypo and have switched to bleach. I brush thoroughly twice a day and have pulled the light from niche.Jets are pointed down.All equipment is in the shallows.I've had to backwashed once. About an hour after brushing I still see some of the "stuff" accumulating I'm small piles on the steps but a hole lot less than when i started shocking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.