Wow... chlorine burn off is no joke...

May 31, 2014
Wentzville, MO
I tested my CYA levels when I opened and was up around 90. I wanted to lower it as shocking wasn't being very effective. I ended up draining 1/3 of the pool and to my surprise I couldn't get the CYA to register on the test. I tossed some trichlor pucks in the feeder and it seems to be slowly rising, but I am at only around 20 now after a few pucks and a week of running. Anyhow is it true that you can lose most of your chlorine in a few hours with low CYA? I shocked it and the next day nothing. It's been hot and sunny for the past two weeks. I think I went through 6 pounds of shock on my small pool over the past 10 days... would you guys add more tablets and raise the feeder level or throw in trichlor grainuals at this point?

I would be surprised if draining 1/3 of the water would take you from 90 ppm CYA to less than 20 ppm too. I don’t know about a few hours, but Ive noticed that my pool doesn’t hold chlorine well until it gets to 30 ppm CYA. I tend to run as low as I can since I use a puck feeder, especially if I go on vacation and I don’t want the CYA to be off the chart by the end of the season.

It's the UV that attacks the chlorine. UV is greater the more direct the sun is in the sky. That's why the greatest risk of sunburn and skin cancer are from 9am to 3pm (standard time). Also the sun is most direct at the summer solstice approximately June21, as it has less atmosphere as it is more nearly straight up. Even though it gets hotter in July and August, the sun is most direct at June 21. So the worst of sun effect on chlorine is a couple weeks behind us as the sun's apparent position gets farther south each day.

Reactions: Oly
I need to raise it ASAP, spent a fortune on wasting shock now. The water luckily is clear but you know it's going to turn on me quickly. I have a puck feeder with two pucks set half way. I am worried I will overshoot, it seems to be coming up some but way too slow... do you guys think burning through two pucks will kick the CYA over acceptable levels? AKA crank it max.

What are you testing with?

If 90 CYA and drain 1/3 CYA should be about 60 not 20. Suspect a testing issue.

What are you shocking with? Liquid chlorine?

Post full set of test results so the experts can better help.

I am testing with regents. Doing the 1/2 pool water 1/2 regent (shaken) squirted into the tube with the black dot (until I can't see it). I agree, I have NO idea how it could drop that much with 1/3 removed. I kept thinking I was screwing something up but have tested it a half dozen times now. Maybe I drained more than I thought though. I did take a lot out.

I do know a few things, for one once I cycled the water and noticed the CYA rock bottom the SLAM process worked instantly. And now my chlorine is vanishing in a day.
TC & FC = 0,
Ph around 7.8 (ya I know it's a bit high)

I am using 3" trichlor pucks and currently only have two in the feeder set in the middle. A bit conservative at the moment due to really over feeding in the past, I didn't even use it last year.

I do not want to overshoot and have to drain again, trichlor makes me anxious as I didn't know what CYA even was the first 5 years I owned the pool.

The typical puck is about 8 oz. of trichlor. PoolMath will tell you how much CYA that will add to a pool of your size. Raising CYA this way is a slow process. If you are in a hurry purchase some CYA (stabilizer) instead. Once you get CYA to an acceptable level be very careful using pucks going forward. I save mine for when I'm on vacation.

The typical puck is about 8 oz. of trichlor. PoolMath will tell you how much CYA that will add to a pool of your size. Raising CYA this way is a slow process. If you are in a hurry purchase some CYA (stabilizer) instead. Once you get CYA to an acceptable level be very careful using pucks going forward. I save mine for when I'm on vacation.

So it's telling me that for a 10k gallon pool going from 20-40 requires 40 oz by weight or 42 oz by volume. OR add 104 oz of liquid stabilizer. Would you go liquid or powder?

In my opinion you need to get your FC up quickly with liquid chlorine. You either have algae or are near the edge of a bloom. Tabs will not bring you up quick enough.
Which test kit do you have? TF100 or Taylor K2006? If neither of those or very similar, your testing accuracy is suspect.

Reactions: MITBeta
Liquid is the quickest and the most expensive. I usually use powdered stabilizer and put it in a sock to dissolve in the pool. That takes a couple of days. If I'm in a hurry I use a 5 gal bucket and hot water. A little stabilizer added slowly and a lot of stirring will cause it to dissolve in the bucket, then just poor it in. Repeat as needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Before you start adding stabilizer, run a quick test for us. Add enough liquid chlorine to reach 10ppm, let the pump run and test the FC again in 15 minutes and report the result. Which brand of shock were you using?

Before you start adding stabilizer, run a quick test for us. Add enough liquid chlorine to reach 10ppm, let the pump run and test the FC again in 15 minutes and report the result. Which brand of shock were you using?

I was using HTH Super Shock, I will do that and report back tomorrow.

In my opinion you need to get your FC up quickly with liquid chlorine. You either have algae or are near the edge of a bloom. Tabs will not bring you up quick enough.
Which test kit do you have? TF100 or Taylor K2006? If neither of those or very similar, your testing accuracy is suspect.

I have a K2006 but I had to buy a bottle of CYA regent (R-0013-E) as I obviously ran out. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Msch99
I have never thought of the overnight test, that's a great idea! I am going to do that tonight, I need more shock though which sucks as I don't have a pool store near me and Walmart is sketchy to go hangout in (IMO). lol

But it's going to be mid 90s all week so we want to swim.

Liquid is the quickest and the most expensive. I usually use powdered stabilizer and put it in a sock to dissolve in the pool. That takes a couple of days. If I'm in a hurry I use a 5 gal bucket and hot water. A little stabilizer added slowly and a lot of stirring will cause it to dissolve in the bucket, then just poor it in. Repeat as needed.
If you are diligent about squeezing the sock you can get it into solution in about a half an hour.. then it still takes a day or so to completely dissolve.. Liquid is faster, but is more expensive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.