Apr 15, 2014
Livermore, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Happy pre-4th TFP’ers!

A lot of you may be out of town, but hopefully this stirs some answers.

My water is clear, all is good, but should I try to raise CH to 250? I am going to bring my CYA up to 30. I tried about a month ago but must’ve undershot it. Here are my test results today:

7.3.19 @ 1000
FC 5.5
CC 0
pH 7.8
TA 80
CH 200
Temperature 86°

Plan & ?s:
1) CH question that I asked above.
2) By increasing my CH to 250, it would give me a little more wiggle room in the pH range per the CSI without being too corrosive or scaling.
3) Add 10 oz chlorine to bring to FC 6.
4) Add 13 oz dry stabilizer in piece of stocking in skimmer. Going to add half first.

However I wonder if I should bother adding CYA as we are going to be out of town 10 days very soon at which time pucks will be floated, which may eventually raise CYA. Add anyway?

Thanks In advance y’all.

Last edited:
1) would not hurt
2) sort of. With the lower CH, you can let your pH stay a little higher which is where it will always try to be. In AZ I would not raise the CH because evaporation and hard water will drive it up anyway. But if you get enough rain to keep the CH in check, the raising it would be fine
3) sure
4) 30ppm is still on the low end. Often get lower FC consumption when the CYA is closer ther 50ppm.

You can use PoolMath to calculate how much CYA each 8 oz tablet of trichlor will add and then use that knowledge to not add too much stabilizer up front.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.