Worry about dog hair in filter?

Pool$

Nov 26, 2020
Placerville, Ca
Newbie building a 18k G pool with cartridge filter. We have a Husky/Sheppard mix that sheds like crazy. He doesnt really like the water, but the yard can get hair tumbleweeds.
Do I need to to do anything special wiht the filter system to cope?

Do I need to to do anything special wiht the filter system to cope?
I have six dogs. I know the pain. A good skimmer sock is your best friend here. I use the one gallon paint strainer nets from Home Depot, but you can use any skimmer sock variety that you can empty each day as needed.

Reactions: borjis
I would not worry about it.. You could put a hair net over the skimmer basket if you want.. What size filter are you getting? Bigger is always better... I have a 320 sq ft cartridge filter and clean it once a year :)

My response is unusual because it won't help you once you get hair in your pool.

You could buy a high velocity dog hair dryer. It is excellent for blowing out shedding hair. If you use it in the yard, the hair will go into your pool, so blow out the coat in the bathroom so you can contain the hair. Then wipe the walls and countertop down, and vacuum the floor. You may want to remove any shower curtain.

Your dog will thank you once he gets used to the noise. All of that dead hair mats easily and can cause skin conditions. The dryer can be used with wet or dry hair, and you will not believe how fast it dries your dog's hair. A wet dog released outside will roll in the grass and mud which sticks to wet hair. Plus a wet dog will develop "hot spots" which is why professional groomers use the dryers. A dry dog can shake off any grass or mud.

I use a variable speed dryer because my 8 lb dog hates the noise, so I can gradually increase the force. (5 lbs of her must be hair!) A hand held blow dryer takes me over an hour to dry my little dog, but the high velocity dryer gets her dry in 20 minutes. The dryer is for short or long haired dogs, but you must brush long haired dogs when the hair is 75-80% dry or you get a tangled mess. The dryers are a little expensive, but save you a lot of time and brushing out undercoat. I am sure you can find other uses for the dryer, too. I have used it on my own hair when my blow dryer was broken.

Trust me! I know about dog hair! Your husky has a double coat, too.

Attachments

• 20210510_170617.jpg
    20210510_170617.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 5
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.