Wohoo - New Pool Construction

WE GOT POOL! What a day!
Workers were there from 8am till 10:30 last night. They had 3 big Rear pumps going trying to get a hand on the dewatering cause of the low water table I have. It was just one thing after another till they finally got a hold of everything. Pumps loosing prime, Breakers popping, sand caving in cause of the water. They finally had to bring in some gravel to fill in the bottom to help with it and that seems to do the trick. PB even asked me if there's a river running under here he had such a hard time with it...lol.
Once that was all stabilized they got the bottom and slopping sides all within spec and then they started applying the hard bottom but by this time it was around 6:30pm and darkness was upon us. Good thing I had a couple sets of portable spot lights, that and the spot lights on the back of the house they were able to continue which at this point was do or die, cause if they didn't all the work they did today was for nothing as the ground water would just fill up again. Once that was done they installed the liner and the best part was they then started filling the pool with the ground water they were pumping out into the street, filled it half way in about an hour. Water was coming out clear and had no smell to it so it was all good. They're going to fill the rest of the pool the same way so that's going to save me some coin. The workers then went into the pool worked out any wrinkles and cut out for the two LED lights and also the steps. Don't know how they did it as that water was not the warmest.
Next step is to get the inspector here to approve the concret colar and then they can back fill it, of which they'll be doing by hand as they can't get heavy machinery in there no longer. Once that's done then they can plumb in the rest of the equipment and get the electrician here to bond the pool and hook up everything.

Got to admit everyone was great from the excavator who was only supposed to be there for a couple hours and stayed till late to the actual workers that stayed there till 10:30 at night making sure everything was done. There were going to come back to day to clean up as they were too tired to do so.

If anyone in the Long Island, NY area is in need a of a pool I can highly recommend Modern Comfort of Coram.

2012-09-19175308_zps8cecdcd9.jpg

2012-09-20125241_zps38d91b5a.jpg

2012-09-20184706_zps28659a80.jpg

2012-09-20193853_zps13141b6a.jpg

2012-09-20200610_zps0ced10f2.jpg

2012-09-20200746_zpsbc3ae3f3.jpg

2012-09-20203037_zps4a5678d3.jpg

2012-09-20204334_zps870b5679.jpg

2012-09-21072053_zpsb0be0de7.jpg

Link to album
http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn61 ... _VR4/Pool/

Haven't updated this thread in awhile so I figure it's time. They installed all the equipment and stuff (pumps, filter, heater, etc) but were at a stand still till the permit came through. Once I got the permit they were able to get the cement collar inspected and then they were finally able to back fill it all. Now my backyard looks semi normal if sand and rocks is your thing. Electrical work was then done and inspected. After that they were finally able to start up the pool....FINALLY. Well almost. PB went to tun on the pump and all of a sudden..BOOM. pump blew up. Seems the electrician wired the pump wrong. Just my luck....

That was Friday and on Monday they had the new pump installed and running. Well almost..... When they started up the pool for the first time they also shocked it and as my luck would have it the pool turned a horrible dark brown. After searching online I found out that comes from a high iron count in the water which you usually get when using well water, or in my case when they half filled it with the water from the ground water when de-water it cause of my high water table. Just my luck....

So right away I called my PB and he said they would send someone there to look at it. Apparently the guy added 2 bottles of Conquest the other day what ever that is. But I been researching it and the only real way to rid of it is to either drain and refill the pool which I know they're not going to do with my high water table, or use what know as the sock method. Called again and what they said is they're going to backwash it out and I'll have to partially refill it with my hose which is good water with no iron in it. At least the PB is doing whatever it takes. I know he didn't want to really clean it as I have the paver guy starting the pavers next week and he's going to make a mess out of the pool for sure.

oohnoo said:
When they started up the pool for the first time they also shocked it and as my luck would have it the pool turned a horrible dark brown. After searching online I found out that comes from a high iron count in the water which you usually get when using well water

My brothers small intex had the same thing but after running the filter overnight all the brown was gone. Any time he adds water some comes back but is filtered out again.

Been running the filter for 36 hours now with a very slight change in color. It went from a DARK ROAST color to DARK ROast. And this was with a recharge of the DE filter. PB is there today so hopefully when I come home there's a big improvement.

When I got home Kevin the guy that does all the maintenance, startup, closing, etc of they're pools was there, nice guy that knows everything there is to about pool maintenance. He dumped in 6 bottles of the Conquest metal remover and also shocked the pool. He told me to leave the filter on bypass until the pool is clear and then at that time to switch it to filter. Reason is the Conquest has to do it's job of binding all the metals which will fall to the bottom of the pool. Once that happens they're come back and vacuum the pool of it all. This is something the PB failed to tell me. He just said to put it in filter in the morning, so the Conquest never got a chance to do it's job fully.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Long time no post so I might as well update this thread since the new season is coming up on us. We had the pavers installed near the end of November and so glad we did before winter set in. I must say it turned out better than we had hoped for and as usual we did more than what we originally intended on having done. We also had the little area on the side of the house done with the steps and the stone work on the bottom part of the house that cleaned it up. Also extended the front walk to the double-gates on the side. More important though is I had all the equipment including the house AC's units lifted so they could pave under them rather than around them, just makes it look so much better that way.
Once that was all done they came back and give the pool a good cleaning as it got real dirty from all the concrete work and paver cutting. After that they then closed it for the winter and then installed the Loop-Loc cover, which was well worth the investment.

Now all that is left to do is some landscaping. We'll probably plant some Arborvitae trees along the back to block out our noisy neighbor and then some shrubs, flowers etc in the beds around the parameter of the yard which we'll do this spring. That and get some nice lounge chairs and stuff but probably not till the end of the season when they have some good sales going on. Maybe at a later time I'll look into building an outdoor BBQ area depending if I can fit it in as we do have a small yard.
Surprised I don't really have any good pics of it all finished. Also take a look at the pick of when we had 18" of snow, hardly any of it stayed on the cover! Heard it's cause of the low water table that the pool is sitting on and it's actually keeping the pool warm during the winter.

But the cool part of it all is what we "Discovered" in all the dirt that was dug up. While walking around cleaning up all the large chunks of old concrete and old sewer pipe something caught my eye. At first I just thought it was just a piece of old sewer pipe but when I picked it up I just knew it was "something" from the shape of it as it look like some sort of figure or something. Looking at it more closely it was all rusty and had a what looked like a seam on the bottom and when knocking on it with the end of a screwdriver it seemed hollow. It looked like some sort of cast iron figure within it. Stands about 6" tall.The outside is hard as a rock as if it's been petrified. I tried chipping away at it but it's going to take some time as it's super hard. I called it the "Babylon Man" as that's the town I live in.

After some CSI investigation I found out what my discovery was. First I did a Google search for cast iron figures, then cast iron men and came across some pics. I was looking through all the pics and then suddenly there it was, a pic very similar to the shape of the one I had in it's raw form and then another in all it's original beauty. SUCCESS!
It ended up being a cast iron BUSINESS MAN COIN BANK that was made in 1900-1925 but unfortunately not worth much. Weird thing is my house was built in 1954 so how it got there is beyond me, maybe passed down from someone's Grandfather. I found one on Ebay and purchased it for $20 which is the one you see here as I just had to have one...lol. Now that I knew what it was I was hoping that there were some old rare coins inside. So now I started chipping away at the motor mix that encased it, but I was getting now where fast as it was as hard as a rock. Then I tried using an engraver on it which was very slow going but giving me some results. Slowly but surly I was getting it down to the bare metal where you can now start to see it's true identity. Once I get it all off I had to split it in two as it was rusted together but unfortunately it was empty. Still a cool find. I have it on display in my wife's curio cabinet :-D

http://s301.photobucket.com/user/oohnoo ... brary/Pool

oohnoo said:
Finally opened the pool :)
Now to learn how to get it all balanced but I figured I'd post a few pics I took.
Looking really nice. I hear you on the balancing, etc. Perhaps we should adjourn and reconvene in the "Testing and Balancing Your Water" section.

Thanks long time coming, can't wait to jump in it as it looks so Dang inviting. But right now the heater is off and it's a bone shriveling 62° at the moment. Once I get all the parameters right I'll turn on the SWG and Heat pump.
I started another thread in that section, think I understand what needs to be done

post499541.html#p499541

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.