Wiring Question - Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump with SWG and no controller

On the upside of the downside of gas build up in no flow conditions. The actual likyhood of an "expanding event" is extremely small. It's not like the things are going off every day or 2.

My point is, dont shy away from a SWG because other people didnt follow the rules. A SWG is a great way to chlorinate a pool, but the rule for using it must be followed.

Hydrogen and Chlorine Reaction - YouTube

Here is a demonstration of the chemical reaction of hydrogen gas and chlorine gas.

One question is what initiates the reaction?

If the cell is clear, or if the gas reaches a clear window, like the window of a check valve, sunlight might initiate the reaction.

In the absence of light, I suspect that the reaction might be initiated by chlorine or hydrogen radicals generated at the plates.

On the upside of the downside of gas build up in no flow conditions. The actual likyhood of an "expanding event" is extremely small. It's not like the things are going off every day or 2.

My point is, dont shy away from a SWG because other people didnt follow the rules. A SWG is a great way to chlorinate a pool.

Good point ^^^^ I love my SWG.

Hydrogen and Chlorine Reaction - YouTube

Here is a demonstration of the chemical reaction of hydrogen gas and chlorine gas.

One question is what initiates the reaction?

If the cell is clear, or if the gas reaches a clear window, like the window of a check valve, sunlight might initiate the reaction.

In the absence of light, I suspect that the reaction might be initiated by chlorine or hydrogen radicals generated at the plates.

While pretty cool, that's a sealed pressurized system. A pool system when not running is not pressurized in the same way. Heck, even while running it's a different type of system, it's not a pressure vessel (meaning, the pressure doesn't have anywhere to go). Pressure in a pool plumbing system is used to do work (move water).

Without the pump on, the gas has plenty of places to go. If anything, I would guess if you left a SWG on constantly without proper flow I would imagine if you could produce those gases, they would most likely end up at a high spot in the pluming (most likely in the filter) and cause issues there.

Not to mention, that guy is mixing Chlorine and Hydrogen gas together which is far different than Hydrogen gas being produced under water.

I'm not saying a SWG can't explode from a hydrogen gas or chlorine gas issue, i'm saying I think it's extremely unlikely. MOst times, if there are real issues with safety in storage, building code required explosion proof walls between potential issue source and where people may be. That's why Scuba shops have those big concrete walls by the pressure tanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.