Wire brushing for black algae damaging pool finish?

I'm fighting some significant black algae, and using aggressive wire brushing. I'm getting visible clouds of debris as I brush - that seems to be pool finish material. The finish itself is some kind of exposed aggregate, and is already very porous and rough in many areas. The pool is 19yrs old and assume finish to be original.

Is this a sign of some other problem? Should a wire brush be safe for use on any in-ground finish?

PH 7.6, Calcium 300, Alkalinity 60, CYA <20, Chlorine at SLAM

Appreciate any help.

Is this a sign of some other problem? Should a wire brush be safe for use on any in-ground finish?
Welcome to TFP! :wave: "Aggressive" brushing is always a concern. Plaster/stones can take so much abuse. The age of your pool is also a significnat factor. 19 years is a very good length of time to be the original plaster. I would err on the side of caution with conservative brushing and maintaining a slightly elevated chlorine level based on your CYA.

Speaking of which .. since your CYA appears to be under 30, I would increase that to ensure you are definately at 30 (minimum) and maintain an FC of 12 (SLAM level).

Also see: Black Algae

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.