Winter in Massachusetts- First Year

A_Gent

Feb 17, 2019
Massachusetts
Hello- first year owning a pool after new construction last spring.
Pool was professionally closed this Fall with water lowered, pipes drained / plugged, gizmo in skimmer and mesh cover installed.
This week water began to come through mesh cover - checking water level this morning the water was just an inch below the top of the liner. I lowered the water by about 3 inches but it’s still over returns and in skimmer. I am not sure how much lower to go - it has been a wet winter so far with no ice forming in the pool.

AG, since you haven't developed an ice shelf yet, I suspect lowering the water a bit would be in your best interest. Most importantly keeping the water level from seeping over/behind the liner. Lowering back to where it was closed or at least slightly below the skimmer would make sense. The skimmer should be fine since you have a Gizmo in it, but removing excess water while you can never hurts. You can always toss a couple cut-up noodles in there as well if you wanted.

Don't lower any further than when it was closed though since all the rain may have risen your local water table underground and your pool still needs that water weight to remain stable. I'm sure others from your region will reply with more advice. Happy New Year!

I was almost full and I just dropped mine a foot this weekend. I wanted to go further but I didn’t want the cover to stretch too much if we get a blizzard In the next Few weeks. Only draining a few inches won’t do because it will be just full quick and if it gets cold and freezes you can’t touch it. But then you don’t want the cover stretching 18 inches either..... so it’s kinda pick your poison. I went a foot to buy myself some more time before it needs draining again.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Today isn’t the problem. It the next 6 inches that overflows the pool which could undermine the patio. And once it’s frozen (probably soon) it won’t be drainable while the ice heaves at the coping. Possible dropping a few bricks on the vinyl liner once it thaws. Many unattended pools have survived before, but it’s a very simple precaution to take for those of us who didn’t flee for warmer weather.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.