OH
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
New pool owner here. Looking to cover our 16x40 fiberglass pool (Latham Corinthian) for the upcoming winter. We’re in line to get a T3 auto cover (pool was finished in May and have been waiting for >3 months now for the auto cover install) sometime in the coming weeks, though don’t want to use it as a winter cover provided we’re in NE Ohio and get a lot of snow. Looking to do the winter cover myself as quotes for the winter cover I’m getting are ~$3k. Trying to gauge what cover I should consider and if it’s better to anchor the the winter cover into the cement or use water tubes as an anchor. Thanks all in advance for the help!

Why wouldn't you use your autocover as a winter cover? Aren't these rated for snow loads? I can't see paying another $3k after paying probably over $10k for the auto-cover.

A proper winter cover will use deck anchors.

Reactions: P2Pool
I have a model ll that I use as a winter cover for the last 20 years. But, for the last two years, I have been putting a large disposable tarp over it held down around the edges by water bags to extend the life of the cover. I just leave the pump on top of the tarp. A big benefit for me is sealing off the cover box, track and leading edge have left to pool in perfect shape when opening. Clean and still has chlorine.

I'm assuming you get are getting a lot of lake effect snow, if you are in NE OH. I suppose it depends on much is a lot? Several feet at a time?

You could open your automatic cover, and let the snow fall into the pool, if you are worried about the weight of snow. And then close the cover after the storm is finished.

Given you have a fiberglass pool, there would be no reason you have to lower the level of the pool any more than just below the skimmer, if you can close or put one way valves on your returns for winterizing. If that's the case, the auto cover should have enough support from the pool water.

Even if you get a winter cover, they also have limits, and also need supported by the water. I had a collapse issue last year with my winter cover. I lowered by pool below the return, and I also had undetected leak, so the the winter cover was not fully supported when we got snow and then it melted and turned to ice. 5 of the springs broke on one side, and the cover got pulled down on one side. Not a complete disaster, no damage to the cover, and just needed to replace the springs. But just an object lesson on the fact that both types of covers need support.

I'm about to pull the trigger on an APC 20'x40' flush-track auto-cover, and will install it myself (with some help from friends) by the end of October.

I fully intend on using my APC auto-cover as a winter cover, and will only lower the water just below the skimmer, so that it's fully supported during winter. I will also likely open it during any significant snow falls, if possible.

BTW, if you are looking for a 1 year old Water Warden Solid Blue 20x40 winter cover (with mesh drain panel), I have mine available, as I will not be needing it anymore. It's in great shape (I'm in Pittsburgh), and can supply more details/receipt, etc. Willing to meet somewhere halfway if interested.

I'm assuming you get are getting a lot of lake effect snow, if you are in NE OH. I suppose it depends on much is a lot? Several feet at a time?

You could open your automatic cover, and let the snow fall into the pool, if you are worried about the weight of snow. And then close the cover after the storm is finished.

Given you have a fiberglass pool, there would be no reason you have to lower the level of the pool any more than just below the skimmer, if you can close or put one way valves on your returns for winterizing. If that's the case, the auto cover should have enough support from the pool water.

Even if you get a winter cover, they also have limits, and also need supported by the water. I had a collapse issue last year with my winter cover. I lowered by pool below the return, and I also had undetected leak, so the the winter cover was not fully supported when we got snow and then it melted and turned to ice. 5 of the springs broke on one side, and the cover got pulled down on one side. Not a complete disaster, no damage to the cover, and just needed to replace the springs. But just an object lesson on the fact that both types of covers need support.

I'm about to pull the trigger on an APC 20'x40' flush-track auto-cover, and will install it myself (with some help from friends) by the end of October.

I fully intend on using my APC auto-cover as a winter cover, and will only lower the water just below the skimmer, so that it's fully supported during winter. I will also likely open it during any significant snow falls, if possible.

BTW, if you are looking for a 1 year old Water Warden Solid Blue 20x40 winter cover (with mesh drain panel), I have mine available, as I will not be needing it anymore. It's in great shape (I'm in Pittsburgh), and can supply more details/receipt, etc. Willing to meet somewhere halfway if interested.
Many thanks on the reply! My biggest concern was the longevity of the auto cover provided the cost attributed to it, though we ultimately made the decision to use it as a winter cover. I spoke to the APC installer who has been building pools since the early 80s and has over the past 8 yrs, focused on only installing APCs to which he explained it'll serve just fine a winter cover and for most people, lasts >20 yrs without issue even in the winter months (if pool is closed correctly and supported by the water below). That ultimately made me feel more comfortable in using it as such. Appreciate the offer on the winter cover, though will pass at the moment. Thanks again for the reply and hope you had a swimming summer!

Reactions: coolviper777
Many thanks on the reply! My biggest concern was the longevity of the auto cover provided the cost attributed to it, though we ultimately made the decision to use it as a winter cover. I spoke to the APC installer who has been building pools since the early 80s and has over the past 8 yrs, focused on only installing APCs to which he explained it'll serve just fine a winter cover and for most people, lasts >20 yrs without issue even in the winter months (if pool is closed correctly and supported by the water below). That ultimately made me feel more comfortable in using it as such. Appreciate the offer on the winter cover, though will pass at the moment. Thanks again for the reply and hope you had a swimming summer!
It's good to hear that info from someone who has installed APC's the last 8 years, that it will last and be ok. Thanks for the reply. The only regret it waiting until next spring to be able to fully enjoy it, and not have to manually crank the cover like the last 3 summers!

Update: No issues during the winter with the cover and was supported by the water below. Left the cover pump on the cover at times when the snow would melt, which helped with draining. Only issue was dirt on the cover which I was able to clean with pool brush, clean bucket of water and dawn dishsoap. Rinsed the cover and pushed it all to the cover pump to get off and no issues after that as well. Hope this helps if someone is deciding

Update: No issues during the winter with the cover and was supported by the water below. Left the cover pump on the cover at times when the snow would melt, which helped with draining. Only issue was dirt on the cover which I was able to clean with pool brush, clean bucket of water and dawn dishsoap. Rinsed the cover and pushed it all to the cover pump to get off and no issues after that as well. Hope this helps if someone is deciding
Thanks for the update. Good to hear that you had no issues. I look forward to having mine installed before winter.

I will add that this is the first year that I didn't lower my pool significantly before putting on my solid winter cover. Previously I had lowered a few inches below skimmer. This past year, I lowered to the bottom of the skimmer, and put in a skimmer cover, and a 1 way return valve. Blew out my lines, and had no issues.

Opening was super simple, added a bit of water to get to middle of skimmer in mid-April. In hindsight, I shouldn't have bothered, as we got so much rain the last few weeks, I had to take water out as it almost reached the top of the pool.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.