Winter cover with a deck

spf30

Apr 28, 2009
Hanna City, IL
We've used a winter cover in the past, but got tired of having to replace almost yearly because the wind would get underneath, would tear etc. Because of tears, wed end up with light hitting the water and often open to green. So we tried the coverless route, which worked quite well for the most part, until last year. We want to try to winter cover/leaf net again, but unless we find a way to properly secure it having a deck walkway all the way around in addition to a third of it having a full deck, I'm not sure what will change. We could probably shove the cover down between some of the pool/deck walkway and get underneath to secure it, but for the larger deck, there's really no way we can access the pool underneath it, (at least not easily) to secure it there. So wanted to get ideas from others who have a similar set up with their AGP if possible. Also, what do you find is the best size to buy? Our pool itself is 30' dia. Do we get 33? 34? Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated! We will also be adding a leaf cover as well if that factors in...

We have a 30ft round pool with a 4 ft deck all the way around. I buy a 30ft cover. We drilled holes in the end of the deck boards and use rubber tie down bungee straps for tarps. Has worked perfect for us for many years.
Thanks for the pictures! It appears you don't bungee every grommet. It would seem that leaves a lot of loose space for wind to get under the cover. Do you now have problems with wind?

I have a deck 1/2 way around & I am able to slip the cable & cover in there then tighten it from the area I can access - we left a little space to be able to do so when building the deck . It’s tighter in some spots than others.
I also use a leaf net on top but I just use binder clips to keep it in place - no cable, so I can easily dump it & put it back.
Do you have any pictures of how your deck meets your pool?

Reactions: Decoy205
I have a deck 1/2 way around & I am able to slip the cable & cover in there then tighten it from the area I can access - we left a little space to be able to do so when building the deck . It’s tighter in some spots than others.
I also use a leaf net on top but I just use binder clips to keep it in place - no cable, so I can easily dump it & put it back.
Do you have any pictures of how your deck meets your pool?
It's raining at the moment so I'll take some pics and post tomorrow. Im not quite sure what you mean...do you have a large cable that you use around the edge of the pool (I imagine using a rubber band to secure a piece of cloth over the top of a jar type set up, only with a cable that cinches somehow)? We could get to 2/3 or the area around the perimeter (ducking down under the deck walkway that goes around the pool), but no way to get to the area under the actual deck (or at least not easily!)

It's raining at the moment so I'll take some pics and post tomorrow. Im not quite sure what you mean...do you have a large cable that you use around the edge of the pool (I imagine using a rubber band to secure a piece of cloth over the top of a jar type set up, only with a cable that cinches somehow)? We could get to 2/3 or the area around the perimeter (ducking down under the deck walkway that goes around the pool), but no way to get to the area under the actual deck (or at least not easily!)
Also, what type of leaf net do you use? So many to chose from...

I just use the cheapo tiny gauge red coated cable & winch that comes with a cheapo solid cover (glorified round tarp). It really only needs about a 1/4” or so to slip in between the top rail & deck. The edge of the tarp is the hardest / thickest part. Then we get someone on each side where we can access pull it down equally. I put the cable through all of the grommets that are not accessible under the deck 1st before feeding the cover through the gap. You may have to put it through the ones under your walkway while u are under the deck. This works for me because I can just put the ends of the cable & the winch at the part that I can access easily to put it through the rest of the grommets & tighten it up.
C3430CA2-52E8-4178-B3A1-7BAE42286DCF.png
The leaf net cover was just the cheapest one that would fit my 33’ round pool - can’t seem to find where I got it, maybe in the swim/ doheny.

Thanks for the pictures! It appears you don't bungee every grommet. It would seem that leaves a lot of loose space for wind to get under the cover. Do you now have problems with

Thanks for the pictures! It appears you don't bungee every grommet. It would seem that leaves a lot of loose space for wind to get under the cover. Do you now have problems with wind?
We have never had problems with the wind or leaves doing it this way. The cover has a mesh strip in the center and we do have fine silt on the bottom of pool when we open up in the spring.

We have never had problems with the wind or leaves doing it this way. The cover has a mesh strip in the center and we do have fine silt on the bottom of pool when we open up in the spring.
We also have a deck all the way around and cover over pool very similar to this, Linda1! We need a new cover this year, though! Do you remember where you got yours? Or could you find me a link? Thanks!! :)

We also have a deck all the way around and cover over pool very similar to this, Linda1! We need a new cover this year, though! Do you remember where you got yours? Or could you find me a link? Thanks!! :)
I can't find where I bought it last time. But if you google ultimate winter pool cover, you will get a few places that sell it. I can't believe how much it costs now! For my 30 ft round, it's over $500. I might have to rethink it when this current cover needs replaced.

Reactions: Salbailey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.