Winter cover vs heavy duty tarp

kris77

May 27, 2014
Clarksburg, WV
My winter cover is done. Last year the wind got under it and destroyed it. My pool has a deck around it. I'm thinking about getting a big 30x30 tarp and covering the pool and most of the deck around it.

Is there really that much difference in a winter cover and an actual heavy duty tarp?

Kris:

You have to compare the material, thickness, cost, etc. Hard to tell. I ordered my tarp on line that offers pool supplies. Never thought about looking at a heavy duty tarp at regular stores, but I do not believe the 25' * 45* was available at either Lowe's or Home Depot.

Any recommended pool tarps out there? I am looking for ones that I can throw out each year, or maybe get 2 years out of them. Seems to be the max with tarps...whether you use a "pool tarp" or a regular tarp. In my experience there does not seem to be much of a difference...

You basically just have to shop around. I have a tarp, and they usually last 3-4 years. Mine has slack and it stretches at least 4' out. Very tight in terms of a barrier all the way around with aqua blocks. I actually do not even lower the water anymore and keep it high. As water fills up, I add a little bit of bleach, borax, and then recycle back underneath to keep the water level up. You will always have water evaporate in the winter. As long as you do not get rips and tears on the cover, it will actually last you quite a while. The thicker ones are worth the money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.