Will I need to replace this valve?

Jun 12, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Newbie piping question:

I'm replacing my side-mount cartridge filter with a top-mount sand. In doing so I need to move the 90 that's currently immediately above the pictured valve about 2 feet higher. Do I have any hope of removing that 90 to put in a straight length of pipe?

1518.jpg

Nope, not going to be able to remove the 90.
You could cut the 90 off and then use a piece of 1.5" PVC pipe on the inside of the valve.
Or you could leave that 90 and add another one right next to it going up. Adds a little inefficiency, but would work fine.

Followup question - I ordered a replacement for that valve and as I'm mentally going over the plumbing plan it suddenly dawned on me that this valve was used to direct flow to the filter, or out to waste when vacuuming. But ... while I didn't have an option to direct unfiltered water to waste with my cartridge filter that's no longer the case with my sand filter. So ... should I remove this valve completely from my setup?

Is there any advantage to diverting to waste before even hitting the sand filter (vs the "Waste" setting on new multiport valve) or am I introducing an expensive an unnecessary valve for nothing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.