Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 60,000
I’m currently investigating the use of WiFi enabled smart switches (that don’t require a hub) to control lights and some pool functions. This would allow me to turn things on and off either with my iPhone or just tell Alexa to do it. This looks like a very inexpensive way to automate some functions, without adding a complex automation system.

There seem to be plenty of choices for my lights and other 110v items. The problem in running into is switching 220v devices. There seem to be a lot of SPST switches, rated for both 110 and 220v. I haven’t found any DPST switches, which is what I need for pumps and other 220v equipment.

Is anyone out there using these type switches? If so are you aware of any I can use for pumps and other 220v applications? I’m not an electrical engineer or a computer expert, but I can install a light switch and pair it with my system. In other words, somewhat limited electrical and computer capabilities. But any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I use a Wood's Wion Wi-Fi switch to control my 220 volt pump hooked up to my waterfall / slide combo. It uses a stand-alone phone app, but also offers control through Alexa. So far, it is performed perfectly for me. There's a simple on-off switch contained within the box, or you could set up one of several types of timers through the phone app. Although you can hook up two loads, they cannot be timed independently. Here is a link if you're interested.
https://www.amazon.com/WiOn-50054-Outdoor-Wireless-Switch/dp/B00ZYLTJ16

You're welcome Chief. I followed your other threads.

The Woods WiOn box is a great value...full WiFi control for less cost than a standard Intermatic box.

Great job on the install!.

Alright, so I'm dealing w/ this now. I have 1 (double pole) switch for my pump and a separate switch (double pole) for my light in the same box w/ an outdoor cover w/ lever switches. I try to run my pump over night but often times forget and leave it off or on for days at a time. I am wanting to a have a timer where it's set to run 4ish hours overnight. Not too worried about the light switch as don't use the lights too often and they're not hard to turn on/off. At first I was thinking I could just replace the pump switch w/ a smart switch and put the cover back on to be able to access the light when needed but it seems most smart switches are designed for single pole. I saw the WiOn 50054 Outdoor Wi-Fi Smart Box, Wireless Time Switch; Control Electrical Devices From Anywhere Using Your Smartphone, 12 Automated settings, Works with Existing Wi-Fi Router and Free WiOn App, 277 Volts - - Amazon.com but am not sure I completely understand how it works and am trying to keep it cheap since it's just a convenience. Do you install the WiOn to the entire breaker box or just the box w/ the 2 switches...andnd the whole entire box would come on/off? Not sure if I like either the option b/c the breaker is connected to other outdoor lights/plugs and the as mentioned the light is connected to the same box as the pump.

Here's some pictures:

ASFJJiC.jpg

trgSRIN.jpg

M3RlINd.jpg

CtNdICT.jpg

Last edited:
Figured' I'd give an update on my solution if anyone stumbles upon this thread. Plus have another question.

Found another thread on TFP that mentioned Intermatic Pool timers. Purchased the Intermatic WH40, 24 hr mechanical timer, 208-277 VAC double pole/single throw (bought it for $50 on Amazon but later saw them on Ebay for $35 w/ shipping included). Attached 1 wire from the breaker box to line (slot 1) and the 2nd wire from breaker box to line (slot 3), attached 1 wire from pump to load (slot 2) and the 2nd wire from pump to load (slot 4), attached neautral form pump to neutral on timer. The manual switch would work but the timer did not work (was not getitng "juice," you can see the timer gear running behind the hole to the diagnol right above the clock). Per questions answered on Amazon they said try wiring backwards. So I took the wires from the breaker box and attached to the load slots and attached the wires from the pump to the line slots. Works well. Not sure how I missed this but then I noticed the WH40 is for inside so I bought an Intermatic outdoor enclosure for $28 off EBay. Swapped the little gray box w/ the outdoor enclosure. (I believe this was still cheaper than buying an intermatic timer for outdoors for some reason, I think the WH40 may not be made anymore). Also, for what it's worth, I learned it's better to run the pump at the hottest time of the day (as we know algea grows better at higher temps). I don't get charged more for power at peak hours so I'm running my timer in the day vs overnight.

Although everything is working correctly my question is, are there any safety issues w/ the wires from the beaker box going into the load slots and the wires from the pump going into the line slots? From what I understand it only wouldn't work if it was a switch w/ a GFCI device. There are 2 wires (1 connected to line (slot 1) and 1 connected to line (slot 3) that power the timer. I was thinking about going back to my original wiring (wires from breaker to line slots and wires from pump to load slots) and then just moving the timer wires to load (slots 2 and 4) but I'm not sure if that's any safer.

Pictures here:
6znqXVT.jpg

BUFSUgo.jpg

CsOR3mu.jpg

vNCFwuI.jpg

DR2nsbZ.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.