why is free chlorine recommendation higher with TFP experts?

topherchris

Jun 2, 2019
Cleveland, OH
I'm not trying question any of the experts on this site; I've found this site to be incredibly helpful when opening my pool this year. However, most of the guidelines I've read suggest keeping the free chlorine level at 1-3 ppm. The CYA chart on TFP has much higher FC level recommendations. For example, my CYA level is 50 and the chart shows 4-8 ppm should be the goal maintenance FC. Is there something I'm missing? Why the higher level here?

Because in the USA, the EPA regulates pesticides and says that you can only be exposed to 1-3ppm in drinking water. So somebody said OK that's the safe range for swimming pools. Except we added cyanuric acid to the pool that now binds up most of the chlorine and makes it harmless. So in a nutshell, if you take the chlorine that is unbound to CYA, it's actually LESS than 1 to 3ppm. So you're maintaining the right amount of chlorine instead of some minimal amount and the having to shock every week and have your pool turn green after a storm. Make sense? The 1 to 3ppm ratio assumes ZERO CYA in the water... which with zero CYA your chlorine will burn off in 30 minute or so.... so nobody runs zero CYA. It's just not practical.

Reactions: onBalance and Leebo
Notice TFP recommendations coincide with a CYA level, but none of those other ones do? Because those standard guidelines were created before the regular use of CYA and the industry as a whole is only just starting to recognize that CYA has a strong buffering effect on the effectiveness of chlorine. If a pool had zero CYA then keeping an FC level of 1-3 would be correct. However, the active chlorine level would actually be higher than following the FC/CYA Levels. That means it would be harsher, smell worse, and fade swimsuits. Despite being far lower FC than your pool.

But don't take our word for it, swim in your pool at 50 CYA and any FC level between Minimum and SLAM. Then go swim in an indoor public pool that uses chlorine. If that doesn't convince you that there's something to this whole FC/CYA thing, I don't know what will. We also have more scientific papers you can peruse if you wish, it's quite an extensive read but very good for those so minded.

Reactions: Divin Dave
Top,
Richard, a.k.a. Chem Geek has been pursuing pool industry for a long time about the FC/CYA and he has posted all of the technical info for us to enjoy. If you want to read the technical stuff that proves the science behind the method, well here you go!

Everyone here recommends kits like the taylor-k-2006 but I guess not the guidelines that come with those kits?

I usually follow the guidelines that come with the kit for all chemicals. I try to stay within the bounds.
It’s your pool to treat how you want.

To quote Dave here at TFP:
Throughout TFP, you will read that we suggest certain levels that good science and practical experience has taught us fall within safe ranges.

Further reading of posts here will draw you to the inescapable conclusion that these guidelines work.......in thousands and thousands of pools worldwide.

You may or may not choose to use these methods and guidelines or you may use some and not others. Our goal is to teach you what has been proven time and time again and then let you use that information to your benefit.

We have found that the industry 1-3 FC is insufficient due to the use of CYA.

Logic would then encourage us to stay out of pool stores if we want to manage our water via TFPC.

That may come across as being kind of a you-know-what, but it is factual and advice we teach every day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.