Why is calcium buildup/scale bad for SWG?

Prevention is always better than the cure and so by keeping your CSI in the slightly negative range of 0 you will avoid the calcium build up. This can be achieved by in particular keeping your TA and calcium levels in the pool under control.

Most cells are best cleaned with a diluted muriatic/water solution.

It's not a bad idea to check with your SWG manufacturer for the appropriate ratio mix.

The first method of cleaning should be a garden hose with a spray nozzle set to a strong jet of water. If that doesn't get rid of the scale then it can be scraped off with a wooden or plastic scraper of some sort. Do not use a metal scraper as that can scrape off the coatings on the plates.

The last method to clean a cell is by using water and muriatic acid, usually a 10:1 to 4:1 ratio water to acid is recommended. After soaking for 15 minutes flush out with clean water.

So, right now my chemicals are thus:

FC = 5.0
CC = 0.0
TA = 110 (an old Leslie's test kit says this is okay but I think it is high)
Ph = 7.9 (I know this is high)
Calcium is 350
CYA = ~35
Borates are >50

Water is super clear - fresh fill (city water) earlier this year and nothing but Bleach, Borax, and Acid have been added after the initial stabilizer.

Now, assuming I get the TA and Ph in place and keep them there, how often would I have to clean or work with the CA?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.