Why go for expensive hayward/pentair pool RGB LED when you can get one for under $100

nyvram

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2015
Fairview, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
on Amazon or somewhere.

I'm looking at the Bonbo 'switch-controlled' (changes color each time you turn it on/off) RGB LED that swaps in place of the traditional 500w incandescent.

I get that the ones with a remote are not going to work very well due to the metal around the bulb and being underwater but it seems for the price, this LED is a great inexpensive way to try out both LED and multiple colors without investing in an entire system.

What are the downsides? The bulb is only $79 on amazon which isn't much more than I paid for my last incandescent which only lasted about 1 1/2 years of very light usage.

I bought one of these from amazon and the remote itself stopped working the first week. This might be a fluke though and I just got a defective light. I’m not sure. Otherwise it’s a beautiful light and I didn’t care about the remote cause I hooked mine to an arduino and a relay so it’s cheapily tied into my home automation system. I basically cycle the relay real fast to achieve the color I want. Here’s a screenshot of my controller on my phone I use to select the color with smartthings.
f1eb618e1667a97cd89168cb977bcf99.jpg
I love this system and I would never pay what they want for those official pool light controllers.

Here’s a link to my whole pool controller project if this interests you.
Automated Pool Controller - Projects Stories - SmartThings Community

what product is that on amazon? is that the bonbo?

i have wink and an intermatic CA3750 hooked up to my pool so i can schedule my pump but i dont have a common/neutral at the pool so i don't know what i could use there to cycle the colors.

i'm just happy i found those $7 candelabra-base lights at IKEA. I have 9 bulbs in 3 wall-mounted fixtures by the pool and was looking for a way to dim/turn it off remotely and now i can do it for under $100. I tried to use one of those hidden zwave controls that go into the existing box but lack of a common meant i had no way to power it.

eta checked out your smart pool system...WOW! VERY WELL DONE. i have roughly 150 things hooked up to my WINK system but my pool is very dumb so all I have for it is a glorified timer on the pump (turns the pump on every 6 hours for 2 hour intervals throughout the day & night)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.