Ferndale, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My SWG was reporting low salt. I tested it, it was 2800. so I added a 40 lb bag. Pool math said I needed to add 50 lbs to get to 3400, and I had another bag. I decided to test the following day to see where I was. I'm closing in a month, so I don't want to be left with this bag of salt. My test said 2800. Literally no change. Now, I did backwash, but that's it. the salt should have gone up. So I wanted to add another bag anyway, and now my salt level wasn't showing an increase so I added it. Also, my SWG started working again, so I know the salt increased. This was yesterday. Today I tested again and I'm getting a result of 3000. Are my reagents bad or something? this can't be accurate.

The Taylor K-1766 salt test kit has a accepted variance of +/- 400ppm. In a 12,000 gallon pool 40 pounds of salt should raise your salt level by 398. So the salt is in there yet doesn't show on the test.

What size of pool in gallons did you use for PoolMath??

My only other thought is that you may not have let it dissolve and mix up enough before testing? And perhaps the backwashing washed some out...?

Maddie :flower:

Well I've technically added 80 lbs of salt. I used 10,000 gallons, not sure why. I changed it to 12,000 and it says I should add 60 lbs to get to 3400. I added 80. so you are saying I could very well be at 3400 even though its showing 3000? I dumped it in yesterday so it should be dissolved.

Yes, you certainly could be at 3400 since we know the variance is plus or minus 400. You have an accurate test kit so I wouldn't worry.

Personally I never look at my SWG for a salt reading as it isn't "reading" the same thing as the test itself. I trust the test much more.

My rule of thumb is "If the SWG is making chlorine and is happy, so am I!"

Yes, you certainly could be at 3400 since we know the variance is plus or minus 400. You have an accurate test kit so I wouldn't worry.

Personally I never look at my SWG for a salt reading as it isn't "reading" the same thing as the test itself. I trust the test much more.

My rule of thumb is "If the SWG is making chlorine and is happy, so am I!"

Well that’s what I was thinking. It’s making chlorine so I don’t care. My SWG doesn’t tell me anything only if it’s too low and then it stops making chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.