Why do they not make winter covers with drains?

xrabbi

Jun 22, 2020
NYC
I'm looking for a winter cover for new in-ground vinyl liner pool in New York (14x28) but as far as I can tell they come either all solid or all mesh. I understand there are real benefits to the hybrid models that are solid but with a mesh drain panel in center -- but only see that is expensive saftety covers, not winter covers that are secured with water bags, etc. Anyone aware of a winter cover with the integrated drain? Strange that it should not be available. Appreciated.

Non-safety winter covers sit on the water, so a hole in it wouldn't drain water in to the pool it would allow the pool water to exit and the cover would just sink in to the pool water. What you're describing is just a tarp with holes in it, when you think of it that way I think it becomes more obvious why it's not available.

I bought a solid with a mesh centre strip drain. It is a GLI Hyperlite. It was really hard to find! Everyone wanted to sell me a mesh, but since my yard is filled with trees I really wanted this one. They dont sell direct to consumers though so you have to find a dealer.

I bought a solid with a mesh centre strip drain. It is a GLI Hyperlite. It was really hard to find! Everyone wanted to sell me a mesh, but since my yard is filled with trees I really wanted this one. They dont sell direct to consumers though so you have to find a dealer.
So now all that snow you guys get will melt and drain into your nice treated water and you will have to pump it off from inside the pool and lose all your stabilizer, etc. Would be much easier to pump off the cover and your pool water chemistry never changes.

So now all that snow you guys get will melt and drain into your nice treated water and you will have to pump it off from inside the pool and lose all your stabilizer, etc. Would be much easier to pump off the cover and your pool water chemistry never changes.
I plan to pump off the cover too so only a portion will drain into the pool. Im told we get too much snow for a solid cover to hold so if you go that route you have a lot of snow shoveling to do!

I plan to pump off the cover too so only a portion will drain into the pool.
You can't pump off a cover with a mesh strip, you'll just drain your pool.

What you've been told is wrong. Solid covers hold snow just fine because it just sits on the water. I think you've been horribly misled regarding this whole thing if you think you need to shovel snow off of a solid cover...

Reactions: mariane
I plan to pump off the cover too so only a portion will drain into the pool. Im told we get too much snow for a solid cover to hold so if you go that route you have a lot of snow shoveling to do!
My pool guy had my buy and use a solid cover but he also made me keep the water level in the pool very high maybe two or three inches below the trim.

The cover is laying on top of the water surface with water blocks holding it down. For extra security I have hammered rebar all around and tied strings to several grommets on the tarp. He manages dozens of pools every year in Connecticut without issue many with regular solid pool tarps done like this. If it snows the logic is the water has no where to go and snow will sit on top. If it's enough to push the tarp in a little that should be okay and some water may push over the lip he explained.

I guess I'll find out this winter (first year with a pool obviously) if I'll have a problem. And yes I am nervous about this but I trust him

You can't pump off a cover with a mesh strip, you'll just drain your pool.

What you've been told is wrong. Solid covers hold snow just fine because it just sits on the water. I think you've been horribly misled regarding this whole thing if you think you need to shovel snow off of a solid cover...
I am referring to a safety cover which doesn't sit on the water. The water level can sit 18 inches below the cover

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That one looks like it still drains into the pool- I was hoping to see something like this But an inground version - although i have no idea how that would be possible 👇

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.