Who wants to be a pool builder for the day? It pays about what you would expect...

Jul 15, 2017
Baton Rouge LA
....a post on an internet forum to pay ;)

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have been lurking for some time gathering information. My wife and I are about to build a new house in Baton Rouge, LA and we are considering including a small pool. We haven't hired a pool builder yet but I always believe in researching every endeavor to educate myself on the topic. This has led me to designing a pool myself. I am looking for advice and recommendations on what I have put together and would like the input of any out there who would like to be a pool builder for the day.

The pool will be a 20' X 8' plaster in-ground pool with approximately 3,500 gallons and a wall water fountain feature. I have spec'd out the following equipment:

• Hayward variable speed pump (SP2603VSP)
  • Hayward cartridge filter (C900)
  • Hayward heater (H150FDN)
  • Savi Meldoy LED lights (SAVMEL50 & SAVMIN50)
  • Skimmer ?????
  • Stetson auto water leveler (SDI WF 420 PAL)
  • Stenner pump for cholorination (45MPHP10)
  • Polaris VA-Sweep 165 pressure side cleaner
yellarcat's Recent Uploads | Photobucket

Based on my limited calculations, the pump and filter should be more than enough to handle my small pool. In the future I would like to add an Endless Pool Fastlane current generator. I plan on having the mount installed during construction and running plumbing conduits for the hydraulic lines so it will be setup to easily add it later.

I would like comments on the equipment selection, plumbing layout, and recommendations on placements for the skimmer and return lines, and maybe a deep water return as well for improved circulation. I am also considering going with two deep water drains in the side wall instead of a single main drain in the floor for effectiveness and future serviceability.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Yeah, that filter will be plenty big and that VS pump should be good too.

I would nix the pressure side cleaner and consider a robot instead.

You want you skimmer on the predominantly downwind side of the pool.

Thanks for the replies.

The predominate wind in my area comes from the top right corner of the "deep" end when looking at the pool with the wall, planter, and benches at the top. So this puts the shallow end with Baja type shelf downwind.

Where would I put the skimmer and how would I position the return lines to be most effective?

Is there a brand of skimmer anyone recommends more than another?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.