Panama City, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
HELP!!! Newby freaking out!!! We just notices wispy, stringy white stuff floating in the pool. I think it may be white water mold?? It's been cool so we have the heater at 90. The visual chlor test consistently shows over 5ppm but I just did a drop test and the FC is 2 and CC.5. My CYA impression is 50ppm. I just backwashed the sandfilter and turned to SWCG to super chlorinate. What do I do? Is it safe to swim? We swam earlier and didn't notice it.

Any chance that stuff is from some sunscreen, body lotions, or something? Maybe a pool toy, chair, or product shedding some stuff? Your FC (at 2) is certainly low, but not so sure it's related to that. Super chlorinate may or may not do much. You might consider adding a gallon or 10 - 12% liquid chlorine now just to get it up ASAP.

Thank you for replying... I didn't think it possible to have an algae so soon. The pool was just built and first filled Feb. 1st. We have been using some funky sunblock that leaves a white paste on our skin. I pray that's it. Also I've been using a lot of hair conditioner.

We have been using some funky sunblock that leaves a white paste on our skin. I pray that's it. Also I've been using a lot of hair conditioner.
I suspect that's the culprit, but keep an eye on things. Remember to always go back to the FC/CYA Levels to ensure your FC is balanced to the current CYA. If you are ever in doubt of excessive FC loss or water quality in the future, you can always run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

Thank you. I'll do that. FC up to 8 and CC .5 this morning so I put the SWCG back on auto and moved it from 50% to 70%. We had a good bit of rain this last week. Water level was high but backwashing the filter brought it down. Filter water was pretty dirty.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Also my pH meter lately has been consistently lower than the view scale with Taylor and Pentair tests. I tried to recalibrate but couldn't get it up to the 8.6 buffer. The adjustment screw wouldn't turn any higher. Is the meter toast or should I try to recalibrate again?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.