New Jersey USA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We just opened to a pretty clean pool for the first time. My problem is that my PH is super high (way over taylor's 8.0) and I don't know what to do first. My gut is telling me to add Muriatic Acid to bring the PH down before I add any Chlorine and then deal with the other chemicals/numbers. I also don't know what order to go. Can anyone point me in the right direction? My other numbers are...
Chlorine: 0
A: 150
CH: 70
CA: 0

35,000 Gallon, SWG

Scott, your numbers above are a little confusing, so let's be sure. I'm assuming the "A" is TA (total alkalinity? The CH makes sense, but is your pool plaster or vinyl? Your signature doesn't specify. What is "CA: 0" Is that CYA? What is your FC (free chlorine) number?

My apologies. I just added all my pool info to my profile. As well as my name (Julie) Not sure how "Scott from Florida" got in there. Anyway here are my numbers:
Chlorine: 0
PH: To high to read
Total Alkalinity: 150 (should be 70-90)
Calcium Hardness: 70 (Should be 300)
Cyanuric Acid: 0 (Should be 80)

Plaster, SWG, 30,000

Sorry for any confusion.

• Haha
Reactions: Texas Splash
Not sure how "Scott from Florida" got in there.
Ha. I needed a good laugh. Okay, so here we go.

1. Add muriatic acid to lower the pH down to about 7.2. Since you can only use a pH of 8.2 as a starting point, start with one gallon of 31.5% strength muriatic acid. But have a second gallon ready as it will probably take a little more after that. Have the pump mixing the water well and brush the area you pour the acid just to help it disperse well.
2. Let that MA mix well for about 30 minutes and do a second test. Hopefully the pH will be closer to the upper 7 range at this point. From here, add another dose of MA as required to get the final pH adjustment to about 7.2.
3. Once the pH is at 7.2, it's time for liquid chlorine. Don't bother with the SWG yet. Increase the FC to about 10 ppm, let it mix for about 10 minutes and test again. Let's be sure the FC is trying to hold somewhere between 5 - 10 ppm after that quick 10-min test. If the FC did NOT hold for 10 minutes, then repeat the 10-min drill by adding chlorine and re-testing until it holds.
4. Once the FC holds as hoped, add only enough stabilizer to get the CYA to "30" for now in preparation for a SLAM Process. You may not need to run a SLAM, but we'll confirm later. Zero to 30 stabilizer should be about 8 lbs 12 oz in that big pool.

Let's start there and follow up with us once you get this far. :)

Reactions: MITBeta and jpower
So I lowered the PH down to 7.2 and I'm ready to start slamming. Is 10 minutes enough time for the water to circulate before testing again? It's 30,000 gallons.

Is 10 minutes enough time for the water to circulate before testing again?
For this first FC addition, give it a little longer. About 20 minutes or so. If for some weird reason you find the FC completely disappeared, let us know. Otherwise, bump the FC to your SLAM level and continue until you pass all 3 criteria on the SLAM Process page. You should find testing and FC adjustments necessary a little more frequently on day 1 or 2, but eventually should stabilize and testing can spread-out once the SLAM gets going. Good luck!

Reactions: jpower
Once I've completed the slam process and all is good, what should I go after next? Bringing my Total Alkalinity down, Bringing my Calcium Hardness up, or bringing my Cyanuric Acid up?

Once you complete the SLAM Process, I would recommend posting a new full set of results since some of them may change between now and then, especially if you have a sand filter and backwash. Also be sure to update your signature with all of your pool details. See my signature as an example. The info you put there will drive many of our responses. Have a good day.

Hi Pat! My pool looks like it passed the 3 tests. FC held overnight at 8, CC stayed at Zero and water looks great. PH is 7.5, Total Alkalinity is 150 (goal is 80), Calcium Hardness is 175 (goal is 300) and Cyanuric Acid is below 30. I just ran the numbers through the pool calculator and I need to add Calcium Hardness Increaser, Cyanuric Acid as well as Lower the Total Alkalinity. Should I add the Cyanuric Acid or the Calcium Hardness first? Again, thanks for all the input:)

Should I add the Cyanuric Acid or the Calcium Hardness first?
Yes. Get those two going now. No need to worry too much about the TA unless your pH climbs really fast. The TA will slowly fall over time as you control the pH. But if you do need help later with the TA just let us know. Congrats on getting past the OCLT! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.