Where to Start?

Aug 24, 2016
HICKSVILLE, NY
We emptied the pool last week to install the new liner and re-plumb everything. The pool now has 28,000 gallons of Long Island tap water, and I just did my first test of the year.

Using my ColorQ-Pro kit, which was right on the money last year, I came up with the following readings:
  • FCL = LOW (out of range)
  • PH = 6.9 (pool store says it's 7.4)
  • ALK = LOW
  • CH = 35
  • CYA = 2

We just came back from Walmart with some fresh Borax and Baking Soda, and we're looking for a little guidance as far as how to proceed.
The temperature in New York is still in the 40s, so I'm thinking CYA and Free Chlorine are not yet a priority. Would greatly appreciate any advice on how proceed from here.

There are two things which are important at the moment - pH control and sanitation (FC/CYA). So I would recommend the following:
- Add stabilizer right away to get the CYA up to at least 30. You can use the sock-soaking method and do that right away.
- Increase FC to 3 for today. Once the stabilizer is all dissolved and in the water, increase FC to about 4-5 and never let it stop below 3
- Increase pH right away to about 7.5. Never let it drop below 7.2 or you run the risk of corrosion and damaging your heater.

Low CH is "N/A" for your vinyl pool. TA needs to be about 60-70 at this time. All of this in hopes that your ColorQ is accurate. It's not a product we rely on here at TFP, but should be better than the pool store. :)

Hope that helps.

Placing the required amount of granular stabilizer into a white sock and letting it soak/hang in the water, squeezing occasionally to help the granules disperse.
dbtgallery.php

You know how to use PoolMath, right?? This program (or app I guess we can call it) will guide you on how much to add and offer suggestions.

How easy is it for you to find Soda Ash? I find Borax in the stores easier usually.

Yippee :flower:

Baking Soda ( I meant to say Baking Soda, not Soda Ash) is available in 4 lb boxes at my Walmart. According to poolmath, I'll need 565 oz (35 lb) to raise my alkalinty from 18 to my immediate goal of 104. That will raise my PH by .18 (less than I thought). Poolmath also indicates that I can push the PH up from 6.9 to 7.5 using 72 oz (4.5 lb) of Borax. I'm thinking now to start with 4lb of Borax and get the PH right first.

I'm pouring the Borax and the Soda Ash into the skimmers BTW...Is that okay?

Baking Soda ( I meant to say Baking Soda, not Soda Ash) is available in 4 lb boxes at my Walmart. According to poolmath, I'll need 565 oz (35 lb) to raise my alkalinty from 18 to my immediate goal of 104. That will raise my PH by .18 (less than I thought). Poolmath also indicates that I can push the PH up from 6.9 to 7.5 using 72 oz (4.5 lb) of Borax. I'm thinking now to start with 4lb of Borax and get the PH right first.

I'm pouring the Borax and the Soda Ash into the skimmers BTW...Is that okay?

I would broadcast those over the surface of the pool and as with any chemical addition......brush to mix. I never add anything to my skimmers as far as chemicals go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.