Where is formula to determine how much salt to add for low salt warning?

Sep 7, 2016
Inola, OK
I have 26' x 52" Intex with SWG. I have been amazed at how often I need to add more salt. Low salt warning, and I couldn't get anywhere to buy more for a few days. I had been using liquid chlorine. Added 80 pounds Saturday night, and by Sunday afternoon, the water tested at 2800. So I need more salt. A huge thunderstorm rolled through, we had 3" of rain and the pool is filled. I assume the salt was further diluted. So I will re-test, but wondering how I figure the amount to add? I only bought 160 pounds, so I hope it won't take more than the 80# I have on hand! My main problem is that I have to get help to unload the 40# bags from my car, and to lift them high enough to pour over the edge of the pool. 11 abdominal surgeries have taken their toll on strength. I didn't take that into account when I chose the SWG.

In your 15900 gallon pool it takes 13lbs of salt to add 100ppm of salt. Each 40lb bag adds about 300ppm to salt.

My Intex SWG is very happy at 3200-3400ppm of salt.

Make sure you turn off the SWG when adding salt, and leave it off until all salt is completely dissolved (about 12-24 hours). Supplement with bleach if needed for FC.

That's a bad link, I get a 404.

I used Pool Math to get those values.

Once I entered the gallons, I set my salt 'now' to 100, my 'target' to 200, and Pool Math told me how much to add to raise salt 100ppm.

Down at the bottom of the page is the 'effects of adding chemicals' section. I entered 40lbs of salt, it told me how much it added to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.