When using hot tub only water doesnt get to pump

Is it possible that they put some kind of backflow valve on that spa drain. there isnt one on the fountain but maybe the spa is different. So maybe when i try to blow it out from the pump to the spa a backflow valve drops and so no water gets through. Not sure, just shooting in the dark here for some ideas.

A check valve in the spa is fairly common but it would normally be installed above ground somewhere. Sometimes spas use a Hartford loop with a check valve but again, it is wise to install it for easy access otherwise, it is very costly to repair. From the picture you posted, there didn't appear to be one but it could located someplace else.

So today I took the valve switch off and put a 2" plug in one of the hot tub's drains and then put the bladder in the spa main drain. I turned it on and after a little while the water started coming out of the spa return jets. I would have though that the spa main drain would be a single pipe going to pump area so I am not sure how the water is getting back to the spa return jets.

So today I took the valve switch off and put a 2" plug in one of the hot tub's drains and then put the bladder in the spa main drain.
Not sure what you mean by "valve switch". Are you talking about the 3-way valve before the pump? Did you plug that too?

If the MD valve is still operational and engaged to the pump, if you force water into the MD, it should go into the pump and through the filter and out the returns. There is no other place for the water to go unless I misunderstood what you meant above.

I am just talking about the valve near the pump that will open and close to start and stop suction from the spa, I dont think I have a three way valve.

You can see my valves here Shared album - Tate Goodman - Google Photos

Here is what I did.

one week ago:
I emptied the hot tub. I took off the valve for the spa main drain and inserted a drain cleaning bladder on the end of my garden hose. I turned the water up for 20 minutes and never saw any water come out the spa main drain. I tried the same thing with my fountain and got water in less than 20 seconds.

YesterdaY
I took the valve for the spa main drain off. I could see a bit of water there about 1 inch down in the pipe. I then went to the hot tub and used a 2" plug to block one of the drains (my spa has two drain holes that meet together to go to one drain tube). I then inserted the drain cleaning bladder in the open one and turned the water on. As I watched I saw no water came out by the pump valve. I did the same thing with my fountain. took of the valve and inserted the bladder into the drain in the fountain and right away water came out the vlave.

Looks like at this point my only hope is to get a plumber with a co2 or nitrogen tank to come and try to blow it out. Are there any other options or possibilities that it could be any other problem?

That is very odd because there should be a direct connection between the MD and that valve. Unless the valves are marked incorrectly and not what you think they are. Then the water could be traveling through another valve. Did you have all suction valves in the OFF position (handle up)?

What is the history here? Did this ever work?

Yes, i had all valves in the off position. I was told that it worked and asked specifically. It is on me that I did not tell them to start the hot tub and make sure only that worked. The pool inspector didn't do much except turn the pump on and then give the pool a look over. However, I talked with the company that used to take care of the pool and they said the hot tub worked and what they said about how to position the valves to get it to work was exactly what I had figured it would be by looking at the valve set up. I may try to get them to come out to check it over and make sure they are the way it is supposed to be.

An update for all of those that have been so helpful in this process.

Declaration 1: I was not aware that a spa was different than a hot tub. I thought they were the same thing and in my communication with realtors and owners i always called it a hot tub.

I have fallen prey to three things:
1. My inexperience with pools and my trusting nature
2. Possibly, and i say possibly, sellers that were less than honest and hid from me the fact that the spa can't be heated, and at the very least didn't make it clear in my repeated questions about the "hot tub"
3. Pool builder that put in a system that could only heat the pool and did not make it clear along with a pool inspector that did not make it clear.

So after calling a plumber out, the pool company guys couldn't figure it out, i have figured out what the issue is. The heater is not designed to heat the hot tub, only the pool / spa if you want to try to heat 25,000 gallons.
When i purchased the house the valve lines were mis labeled leading me to believe that you could pull water into the pump from the hot tub. When asking what the second pump was for I was told it was just for the jets.
The valve labeled spa main drain is really the cleaner (you can even see an old label under it that is torn off but says "eaner")
The valve labeled cleaner is the fountain.

With this configuration there is no way to get hot watet to just the spa, you have to heat the whole pool and allow the heated water go into the hot tub and spill over into the pull (pulling all the water from the pool. The spa main drain actually is attached to completely separate system with its own pump.

So, I have a quote to pay a plumber $1,300 to reconfigure the pipes so that I can use my "spa / hot tub" as a spa.

Oh man, I'm so sorry about that. :(

Make sure to give that pool inspector a bad review. Mine tested absolutely everything - making sure valves worked, labels were correct, etc.

Costly mistake, but at least it doesn't sound like you'll have to conduct major repairs!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.