May 30, 2015
Stamford, ct
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there,

My solar cover is several years old and I'm wondering if it's time to change it. It's probably over 5 years old, because I've bought the house with it 3 years ago. But the only problem I see with it is a lot of bubbles are popped, because they seem to be filled with water, as you can see on the pictures. Also it hase a greater tendency to rip when putting it in and out of the "solar cover saddle" that I have. So we can see water on top of the cover while it sits on the pool.

I just want to make the most of the sun we have up here in the Great North (ok, in CT...) as the weather isn't super hot since August started.

I'd probably go with a pre-cut, 21ft round one for 50 bucks on Amazon. What do you guys think?

Also, my wife would like to get a reel instead of the saddle that we have. I think the saddle is fine, but she thinks a reel would be easier for her. Any advice here? Any experience with installing free-standing ones? Or connected? Any luck with any brand? or DIY ?

In that case, should I get a larger cover to account for the reel? That's why I'm asking at the same time as the solar cover change. The wall-to-wall interior of the pool is 21ft in diameter exactly.

Thanks!
Guillaume

Attachments

• 20170813_095234.jpg
    20170813_095234.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 20170813_103406.jpg
    20170813_103406.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 97
We replace ours when it starts ripping and leaving little blue circles floating in the water and skimmer. That takes about 3-4 years.
We just push ours over the side of the pool and let it sit on the rocks next to the pool.
We are trying to decide on the reel placement since my sister gave me hers when she closed her pool. We just don't want it to overlap any part of the upper rails.
Lazy but it works.
Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.