When to Begin Preparing Pool for AZ Summer

Like chief said, you have to know how high your CYA really is to know how much to drain. See the Extended Test Instructions

BTW, if is likely that your water is around $5/1000 gallons ... so you are looking at less than $150 to full drain the pool.

That sounds like too much work. Eh, I'll just drain half the **** pool. ???

I just dropped my submersible pump into the pool. I'll post more later tomorrow. Very much appreciate all the stellar insight you've all extended me.

Are you saying doing the CYA test with half tap water is too much work? If so, TFPC is not for you.

Hope you do not drain half, refill and then find out you need to drain another half when you could have just replaced 3/4 once .... That seems like more work to me ...

Plus, if you drain half, refill and find that it is still too high then the cya will be diluted and you will have to drain more water than you would have had to drain in the first place.

Ok, I just performed the extended CYA test and got a reading of 50, which confirms my original test reading of 100. I'm approximately 5 hours away from my pool being half empty. Based upon this confirmation, is it still advisable that I drain 50%?

Thanks, guys!

Ok, pool was drained 50% and refilled today. Current readings are as follows:

FC - 6
PH - 7.8/8.0 (couldn't clearly discern which)
Alkalinity - 100
CC - 0
CYA - 60/70 (couldn't clearly discern which)

The CYA test can be tricky because while standing under the sun, the black dot is visible up to 60-50, but with it to my back it's visible to 70. Any recommendations as to the best type of suggested lighting when measuring CYA.

Also, I poured 2 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine this morning and will test it every day for the next week.

Thanks for your thoughts, guys.

Outside in bright indirect light (usually with sun behind you) and the tube at waist level. There is a standard solution you can buy to verify that your methods give you 50ppm.

You can also pour the solution back in the bottle and redo the test a few times to see if your readings are consistent. Yes it can be a little tricky, but with some practice you'll get the hang of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just used the PoolMath tool and it's spurring a question in my mind: Shouldn't the "target" column change when I change the amount of gallons/size of the pool? Mine is 28k but I was playing around with the tool, changed it to 15k gallons, and the "target" field didn't change.

Your total water volume may be off a little or you didn't quite change out what you thought you did.
Try another test and see what you come up with. Like I said earlier you can pour the sample back and redo the test a few times.

You can pour the sample back from the view tube into the little bottle and redo the test. You can do this a few times with the same sample to see if your getting close to the same results.
If you didn't drop the CYA down enough just drain and replace some more. Put your new CYA reading in the now column and what you want your target level to be. You'll get there.

Now I'm following you. After pouring the solution from the viewing tube back into the mixing tube, should I let it settle for a minute or two?

And are you recommending I drain more water from my pool after I just refilled it? If so, by how much considering my reading this afternoon was around 60-70'ish.

No you don't have to let the mixture settle or anything. Just start pouring it back into the view tube for another test. Remember to have your back to the sun and view tube waist high. Make sure you have run your pump for at least an hour prior to testing.
If you got the CYA down to 60 I'd say your good there. I'm sure you pool gets some strong sun out there in the summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.