NY, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Well I've just finished filling the pool for the season. The water is a mess from patio construction but I'm running the pump 24/7 and starting to pull out all of the dust. My SWG is installed and ready to go, but my pool has zero salt in it. (The SWG was installed last year but too late in the season so I just ran on chlorine tablets last year.)

I'm just about to start my first SLAM (with liquid chlorine) and now I'm wondering: when do I first add salt and get the SWG running? Should I do it now, before the SLAM? Or first get the water balanced on its own, and then start adding salt?

You can add the salt at any time. But since you appear to be starting a SLAM Process first, compete that now before starting the SWG or increasing the CYA to 70. Lower the pH to about 7.2 first, then verify your CYA one more time. Take that CYA number and go to the FC/CYA Levels to see what your SLAM FC level should be, then increase and maintain that FC level with liquid chlorine. Do that until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria.

Once the SLAM Process is complete, you can increase the CYA to 70 which is recommended for a salt pool, turn on the SWG, and go from there. Hope that helps.

Thanks, yes that makes sense. I just did my first test with my new TF test kit and here's what I got:

pH 7.5
FC 1.5
CC 3.5
CH 175
TA 110
CYA 0

I have some Lo N Slo left over from last year so I'll use that to bring the pH and TA down, and I'll need to go pick up some stabilizer. I see that CYA 30-40 is recommended for SLAMming so I'll start there.

From the label, Lo N Slow is 93.2% Sodium Bisulfate. I assume this counts as "Dry Acid" in the Pool Math app?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.