When and how long to run pump.

Jun 26, 2013
I have a Pentair Intelliflow pump connected to an intellitouch system.

I've always wrangled with the set up and was wondering if someone can straighten me out.

1) Should I run the pump 24/7?
2) Should I run the pump 12hrs? If so during day or night?
3) If run what would be the normal rpm that I should run it at?
4) Is 2000 rpm fast enough?

Currently I'm running it at night but I think it should be run during the day. I don't really have any algae issues as the water is pretty clear.

Any enlightenment appreciated.

If you have a VS pump, you could run it all the time on the lowest rpm if you would like. Put your pool/equipment details into your signature as I cannot tell if you have a SWG, which would be relevant to this topic. If your water is crystal clear and your chemicals balanced, you are just mixing the water. You will need to run your pump for a couple hours on a higher rpm for skimming debris from the surface. If you do shut the pump off, I would do it at night. Most people get a VS so they can just run it all the time at a low rpm. I still have a single speed so I shut mine off at night.

We've been swimming everyday for 2 months now. First the pool was heated to 91 (at the beginning of quarantine and it was cold and rainy everyday), now I keep it between 85-87... and we always fire up the spa for anywhere from 2-10 hours a day.

Since we're home everyday now, pool is heated, and I definitely don't want any algae I've been running my VS pump on level 4, 2875 rpms, 24/7. Meter reader comes today... not excited to see what my bill is going to be. Gas bill was pretty ugly for the first month also... 10x normal month.

I updated my signature but not sure if it will show up in this reply.

I have a Pentair Intellitouch System, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Mastertemp 250 heater and 25k gallon vinyl pool.

Does that help?

We've been swimming everyday for 2 months now. First the pool was heated to 91 (at the beginning of quarantine and it was cold and rainy everyday), now I keep it between 85-87... and we always fire up the spa for anywhere from 2-10 hours a day.

Since we're home everyday now, pool is heated, and I definitely don't want any algae I've been running my VS pump on level 4, 2875 rpms, 24/7. Meter reader comes today... not excited to see what my bill is going to be. Gas bill was pretty ugly for the first month also... 10x normal month.

It's been pretty cold here too in Toronto. Although we just went through a two day heat wave and it was great!! Used the pool everyday.

I don't want to get gas/electricity shock so that's why I was thinking of turning my pump off have the day. I guess it also prolongs the life of the pump??

You've been running your pool at Level 4? That's really high, I've been running at Level 1 (2000 rpms) and my pool is crystal clear, guess I'm lucky.

I guess it also prolongs the life of the pump??
I've actually read on this forum, several different threads, that the pumps are able and designed to run 24/7 no problem. You'd think that it would extend the life of the pump by not running it all the time, but not sure it's true.

Btw, got my DWP bill... not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Gas bill was worse. Interested to see what my gas bill will be next month now that I'm just maintaining temperature during pretty warm weather and not heating the whole thing from freezing.

All pool pumps are designed to be run 24/7 but pools do not need to be run 24/7 at maximum rpm/power. VS pumps are intended to keep the water circulating all the time while greatly reducing the energy consumption and are programmable to set a schedule. A pool pump only needs to run at a high RPM / power level to skim debris off the surface and you will need decent flow to produce enough chlorine with a SWG.

I would just program your pump as intended with the features provided so that you have the vast majority of the day running at low RPM. Just experiment with the amount of time to run at high RPM to skim the surface and make sure you are producing enough FC.

Here's what I did. I played around with high speed and found it needs to run an hour or two on 2800 rpm to skim the pool rest of the time I run it to chlorinate. I used Pool Math as a guide and then fine tuned. You don't show a cleaner but that would be a consideration too. Right now my pump goes on at 10 am and stops at 8 pm. The default speed is low which is set to be sufficient for the chlorinator which is currently at 40% power and runs 7 hrs. In my system the solar kicks speed up to high when call for heat is energized so I get plenty of skimmer time from that. If I didn't have the solar and the chlorinator I'd run for 2 hrs max on high speed and I wouldn't need to run much more than this. There is no set requirement it's mostly based on your specific requirements. At the very lowest end of runtime you wouldn't filter enough and your pool would start to look cloudy. But normal pool requirements for skimming and other activities usually more than exceed this. In general most pools were designed on a "number of turns" basis that ends up with much higher flows and longer flows than is really needed.

I hope this helps

Normally, you should not need to run at a "high" RPM to skim the pool. I have two skimmers and run at about 30 GPM (15 GPM/skimmer) all the time and the skimmers work just fine. To optimize the RPM setting, you want the lowest RPM setting so water travels over the top of the skimmer weir door. This ensures that the skimmer is working properly while using the least amount of energy. To me there is no point in running the pump if it isn't accomplishing something so if you decide to run 24/7, you should at least make sure the skimmers are working properly.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Normally, you should not need to run at a "high" RPM to skim the pool. I have two skimmers and run at about 30 GPM (15 GPM/skimmer) all the time and the skimmers work just fine.
I should have clarified high speed is set to 2800 rpm not full speed. I think it's a little higher than 30 gpm but my skimmer design is also lacking with prevailing winds not helping much of the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.