What's wrong with my PH reading?

jkrupp

Aug 26, 2016
Roseville, CA
Hi, our pool is only about 6 weeks old. For the first month we had a free service and they balanced the water. I tested it myself and the PH was 7.6

The pool has been drying our skin out like crazy so I decided to test everything again. TA is 90, CYA is between 30 and 40, Ch is 230, and Fc was 5.

PH however, was a bright hot pink that was not on the Taylor color spectrum at all. Thought it was user error and tried again, same result. I opened the Oreq test kit the builder gave us and used that, and same reading. Off the charts bright pink. Does this mean my PH is way high? How could this have happened if the water was previously balanced? Our tap water is 7.8 so even if it hadn't been balanced it shouldn't be that high...

Any idea what is happening?

pooldv, do you know of any reasons the pH can rise from 7.6 to this high, with no aeration in the last couple of weeks? If indeed is is because of new plaster, I'm not sure how to combat this.

It is completely normal. PH needs to be tested several times per week, especially at first.

Yes, it is definitely part of the deal. As you add acid to lower PH it will also slowly lower TA. Lower TA (60-70) will help to slow the pH rise. And as the plaster cures the upward pressure on pH will slow.

Thanks pooldv! And one more question.. I'm sure this information is on the site but I couldn't find it.. my acid demand test required 3 drops to get to 7.4. The test kit says to refer to the treatment table which I don't seem to have. Does the number of drops correlate to how much muriatic acid to add?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks pooldv! And one more question.. I'm sure this information is on the site but I couldn't find it.. my acid demand test required 3 drops to get to 7.4. The test kit says to refer to the treatment table which I don't seem to have. Does the number of drops correlate to how much muriatic acid to add?
3 drops is 1.5 pints of acid in 10000 gallons. So for 13000 gallons, 1.3 * 1,5 = 1.95 pt. Call it a quart.

When the pH is not at the max, poolmath is a whole lot easier. But you could be at the top or waaaaay over the top and it will all read the same.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.