What type of inground cover

Alex36

Oct 14, 2017
Athens,NY
Hi, I know people are starting to open their pools, but I have a question about winter covers. Here in upstate NY, (Albany area), what type of safety cover would be best? Mesh, solid, solid with mesh window in the middle? Im more concerned about if I have to lower my water level below skimmer and have a mesh or solid with mesh window, how would I prevent the water from creeping up to returns and skimmer? Mesh with tarp over it with water tubes? Im very confused

Mesh or solid cover are the way to go, both have theirs pros and cons. Mesh is lighter, lets some fine sediment through. Solid covers are heavier and require a surface pump to remove excess water on the top of it.

Both types of covers use the resulting freezing water to help support them during winter freeze up, so the water is left about 12” from the coping. You would blow out all lines and plug accordingly.

So the solid with mesh window in the center is not good? I have been draining about 6 inches below return and using a tarp with a pump to remove excess water. Im just worried about the water getting to the returns and cracking them when the water turns to ice. I would assume that mesh or solid with window would allow same amount of water to go through.

I've had both a mesh and solid cover. With the mesh cover, I occasionally have to drop a utility pump in to drain down the water from rain. In the spring, there is a fine sediment on the bottom of the pool. With the solid cover, I need to use a utility pump to get rid of the water that builds up on the cover from rain. The solid cover builds up a layer of dirt over time from dirt and leaves blowing onto the cover. In the spring, the water is crystal clear except for the few worms that find a way under the cover. Mesh cover was easier to put on and take off. At my new home, I decided I prefer the mesh over the solid cover.

Reactions: Newdude
It's your choice if you pump below the cover, or above it. Either way, you're pumping.

I personally see no benefit to a solid cover with a mesh strip. If all the water and fine sediment goes into the pool anyway, and a trace of sunlight along with it, what are you saving ? Why have to manhandle the weight of the solid part without all of its benefits ?

The 'mesh' isn't how it sounds. It's woven so tight you can't see any light if you hold it up to the sun. Does some UV get through? Probably. But it's minute.