What to put under our AGB?

kmc2407

Jun 7, 2021
Kentucky
Pool - 18X48 Summer Waves Elite Frame Pool (pictured)
We have leveled the ground and that's ready however were not 100% sure what to add under the pool?
I have hear so many things - sand, carpet padding, foam pad tiles, insulation board, floor underlayment, etc,..
I read the manual and it does mention sand not being a good choice but I feel like everyone does? Sand would be the most cost effective but we want to hope this pool will last at least a couple seasons so know doing it right the first time is the way to go. We did upgrade the pump to a salt water pump, but that's a whole other post lol
Any advice or tips is appreciated! :)
Thank you!

Attachments

• sw agp.jpg
    sw agp.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 8
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Sand can be used, but in some areas also can get washed-out from underneath creating a problem. Plus there's no protection from sharp objects or weeds later. But it can be used. XPS foam insulation and Gorilla Pads are also very common.

Reactions: kmc2407
I used an inch or two of sand under my Intex, but I’m in Florida, so very flat area and soil is already sandy. No rocks. I did also use a gorilla pad just in case.

Lots of folks here use XPS foam. You can probably find 10 threads just in the first page of the AGP forum that talk about it.

Reactions: kmc2407
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Sand can be used, but in some areas also can get washed-out from underneath creating a problem. Plus there's no protection from sharp objects or weeds later. But it can be used. XPS foam insulation and Gorilla Pads are also very common.
Hi! and Yes, we were planning to use something like sand/foam whatever then a tarp on top of that. I'll take a look into the gorilla pads. thanks!

I used an inch or two of sand under my Intex, but I’m in Florida, so very flat area and soil is already sandy. No rocks. I did also use a gorilla pad just in case.

Lots of folks here use XPS foam. You can probably find 10 threads just in the first page of the AGP forum that talk about it.
We definitely have some rocks and such to worry about under our pool, I mean weve taken the time with our kids to get as many up as we could especially any big ones. However I understand once the weight of the water in the pool happens the small rocks may be felt through the bottom. I will definitely do a search on the XPS foam. I have read a little about this as well elsewhere but my husband seem to think it would just sort of crack as you walked on it. I'm thinking he may be thinking of something else though. Is there a difference between just foam board insulation and XPS Foam? Thank you!

We definitely have some rocks and such to worry about under our pool, I mean weve taken the time with our kids to get as many up as we could especially any big ones. However I understand once the weight of the water in the pool happens the small rocks may be felt through the bottom. I will definitely do a search on the XPS foam. I have read a little about this as well elsewhere but my husband seem to think it would just sort of crack as you walked on it. I'm thinking he may be thinking of something else though. Is there a difference between just foam board insulation and XPS Foam? Thank you!
Nope, same thing!

I guess if you jumped around on a piece that was just tossed on the ground, that could happen. But remember, you are leveling the ground, and then on top of the foam you have a gazillion pounds of water applying equal pressure throughout.

Hi! and Yes, we were planning to use something like sand/foam whatever then a tarp on top of that. I'll take a look into the gorilla pads. thanks!
We have a steel wall AGP and I would highly recommend not using sand and going with the felt pad. The pads are well worth the money and easy to use, no worries of washout etc! Whatever you choose I would definitely not use sand! Hard sided pools can have sand underneath bc the wall acts as a barrier to keep it from being washed out (if proper drainage is installed around pool) from rain etc, whereas the quick set pools do not have any protection for whatever is underneath as the base layer. I would recommend choosing something that won’t shift in any event 😊

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.