What to do first?

Zwrickers

Jun 21, 2019
Louisville KY
Hi, I did not open this year till a few weeks ago just to clean/check/close. When I opened I had to refill about a third of the water in the pool, so, untreated. I had a pump issue and an algae bloom (my first) while waiting to fix it. I have only added Chlorine so far and water is very cloudy (not green anymore.)

Here is the current status of my pool chemistry. I need advice on what to do in what order. I THINK pH is first, then a decision about CYA (should I even add it when I'll be closing ASAP? Will it dissolve in cool water?), then Cl (should I SLAM?) How do I know what the cloudiness is - dead algae, hard water, etc. What is the rough to touch but invisible 'scale' at the water level on the vinyl liner?. I've cleaned the cartridge filter while treating the algae...should I clean again, buy new cartridge, etc? THANK YOU in advance.

Weather: Ave 70 F high, 46 F low
Water temp: 63 F
pH = off the scale, BRIGHT pink, but acid demand test was 19 drops needed!!! The table only goes to 10 drops - what to do? I use muriatic acid. Also my pool tends to increase in pH over time w/ pump/aeration.
FC = 1 ppm
CC = 1 ppm
TA = 125
CH = 125
CYA = under 30, dot still there

I've been following TFP methods for 3 years with great success - this is an off year and I don't want to permanently ruin anything. I want to close again on target this year!

Thanks in advance,

Kristin

Hey Kristen and Welcome back !!!

1) Adjust the PH to a low 7

2) Add 10 ppm CYA and count it immediately as it dissolves in a sock by a return.

3)SLAM Process

(Test/add as often as possible. 2 hours is best. Clean filters at 10% PSI increase, brush and vac daily)

Keep us posted.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Hey Kristen and Welcome back !!!

1) Adjust the PH to a low 7

2) Add 10 ppm CYA and count it immediately as it dissolves in a sock by a return.

3)SLAM Process

(Test/add as often as possible. 2 hours is best. Clean filters at 10% PSI increase, brush and vac daily)

Keep us posted.
Hi Newdude! Thanks for responding! After adding cya in sock till its gone, how long to wait to wash filter cartridge? I know it can take a week to truly dissolve and thats been my worry. But maybe it's not that big a deal given my goals.....

If you add it in a sock (carrot on a stick like), it does not get trapped in the filter like dumping it directly in the skimmer. So you can manage the filter as needed independently of the CYA. (y)

It may take a while to get mushy being cold, but once it does, squeeze it out.

Oops I overshot with muriatic acid (after checking calculations 3x) and now my base demand test needs 3 drops to come up to ideal pH. Since I am pumping 24/7 and my pool always increases in pH with pumping and my TA was so high....should I just not worry about adding back bicarb, and wait? I know you don't want a really low pH, so I don't want to damage equipment. Thoughts?

I got myself into a pickle now! Help. 1. CYA accident. 2. Failed Cl test. 3. Still have algae.

pH is 7.0. I am leaving it. I added CYA via sock, 4 lbs, targeting 30 ppm. Wanted to do it fully. My old cloth split open and I lost maybe 2 lbs of grains to bottom of pool. And the tshirt w cya sunk but I fished it out. But I couldnt see where the grains went ...too cloudy. I brushed the area 5 min then had to return 45 min later. I vacuumed, brushed, finished remaining cya by predissolving.
Im gonna vacuum again now.
I need Cl. I tested Cl w correct test and my sample never turned pink. Adding powder only turned it grayish slight hint of pink. And I couldnt get it to disappear. What is wrong w my reagents? Or is Cl not accurate after just adding CYA?

Lastly what if I don't get all the cya granules off the liner bottom bc I cant see anything...will they bleach or weaken/put holes in liner? I am so upset. I cant believe all these compounding at once.
Thank you.

Last edited:
pH is 7.0
OK. Any 7 is fine. It'll come up on its own with no tabs or acid being used.
vacuumed, brushed, finished remaining cya by predissolving.
Im gonna vacuum again now
Once on the floor in a million pieces it dissolves faster than in the big ball. You probably are fine with what you've done. (y)

I need Cl. I tested Cl w correct test and my sample never turned pink. Adding powder only turned it grayish slight hint of pink. And I couldnt get it to disappear. What is wrong w my reagents? Or is Cl not accurate after just adding CYA?
You got it right the first 3 words above. You need chlorine. It gets spent quick when there are algae issues. Depending on how bad it is, you can be depleted in 2 hours, which is why we rec to hit it as often as you can. If it holds for 8 hours..... GREAT. If not, hit it until it does.

Lastly what if I don't get all the cya granules off the liner bottom bc I cant see anything...will they bleach or weaken/put holes in liner?
Probably bleach it with a little spec in each spot. I don't think they'd last long enough to burn through. But brushing and two vacs probably got them.
I am so upset. I cant believe all these compounding at once
Trust me. WAY worse has happened and most of us have been there. I spilled a bunch out of mine on day 3 (?) with the new pool. So yeah. Twinsies.
Thank you.
We got you. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.