What the heck is in my pool?

GBG22

Jul 5, 2017
South Jersey
Hi all,

New pool owner here. We bought the house 3 years ago but never used the pool and I dont think the previous owners used it much either. So we decided to open it this year. All of my chemical levels are fine by looking at the test strips. Im thinking I have a problem with my filter. I get this white/gray buildup on my pool floor or whereever theres a crease in the liner. I can vaccum the pool one day but over the next day or two, everything comes back again. I notice that I have some fine air bubbles coming out of my jets. Also, when I turn the pump on I notice that it looks like some debris comes out of the jets. Does this look like DE powder accumulating in pool?

IMG_1471.jpgIMG_1472.jpg

I can guess that its probably some scale, but we cant be sure if you dont post test results. Your Guess Strips are not helping you. You need to get a proper test kit, like a Taylor K-2006 or a TF-100. After you get your test kit and post result we can help you better. In the mean time keep doing what your are doing and dont change a thing.

Felipe

What does the pressure gauge on the filter read? The grids could be damaged and allowing DE to flow through. Might not be a bad idea to backwash the filter and open it up for inspection.

FYI, a good test kit will get your "numbers" from"fine" to great.

Can you pick some up and squish it between your fingers? If it's DE, it will feel gritty/sandy.

If it feels smooth/slick it could be dead algae.

How do you normally chlorinate the pool?

I can guess that its probably some scale, but we cant be sure if you dont post test results. Your Guess Strips are not helping you. You need to get a proper test kit, like a Taylor K-2006 or a TF-100. After you get your test kit and post result we can help you better. In the mean time keep doing what your are doing and dont change a thing.

Felipe

Will place an order on Amazon now, thanks!

What does the pressure gauge on the filter read? The grids could be damaged and allowing DE to flow through. Might not be a bad idea to backwash the filter and open it up for inspection.

FYI, a good test kit will get your "numbers" from"fine" to great.

For whatever reason, the gauge on my filter reads in kg/cm and its about .5 which only translates to 7psi if I did my calculation right which is pretty low from what im reading.

Can you pick some up and squish it between your fingers? If it's DE, it will feel gritty/sandy.

If it feels smooth/slick it could be dead algae.

How do you normally chlorinate the pool?

Ill have to get in and feel it. When I hit it with the skimmer it all clouds up.

I use chlorine tablets in one of those floater things.

Read up on suction side air leaks to hopefully locate the source of your air bubbles.

Once you get a proper test kit report back what your levels are. Pay close attention to the CYA and FC relationship. Monitor FC and pH daily. Here is a link to recommended chemical levels and pool chemicals.

One thing that has saved me a ton of money was switching from tablets to liquid chlorine. The tablets increase you CYA making it hard to keep your FC in balance with the CYA.

I don't have a DE filter so other than inspection of the grids I don't know what else to recommend on trouble shooting the low filter pressure and white stuff in the pool.

Will place an order on Amazon now, thanks!

For whatever reason, the gauge on my filter reads in kg/cm and its about .5 which only translates to 7psi if I did my calculation right which is pretty low from what im reading.

Ill have to get in and feel it. When I hit it with the skimmer it all clouds up.

I use chlorine tablets in one of those floater things.

If it sort of 'poofs' away when you try to skim/vac/brush, it does not sound like DE, but more like dead algae.

You should immediately stop using Trichlor pucks...... for every 10ppm of FC you also get 6ppm of CYA (stabilizer). As the CYA builds up (it is not 'consumed' like FC), you need to also raise FC to balance the active chlorine in the pool. If you don't, the active chlorine level will fall below safe sanitizer levels, with cloudy/dull water, & 'mystery' dust that collects in creases and corners as early signs of the upcoming Algae bloom.

I recommend you start using liquid chlorine, aka bleach, as your sanitizer. Bleach adds only FC and a small amount of salt (all chlorine products add salt). In your 27500 gallon pool, you should add about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 large jugs of 8.25% sodium hypochlorite (laundry bleach) daily until your test kit arrives. Make sure it is not scented or splashless. This should keep things from getting too far out of hand. 41oz of 8.25% bleach adds 1ppm to FC, each large (96oz) jug will add 2.3ppm to FC. Most clean pools consume 2-4ppm a day.

Once you receive your test kit we can get you on the right path, most likely getting prepared to SLAM Process.

I have a 1-1/2 HP pump & my clean filter pressure is about 12-12.5, 7psi may be just fine with your 3/4HP.

Does the return jet feel strong?

What size eyeball(s) is in use?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.