What size DE Filter?

Maybe have someone use a pump to pull water from the skimmer to see if anything comes out.

Do you know for sure what the plumbing is that feeds the pump?

Is it a single 1.5" line?

Maybe have someone use a pump to pull water from the skimmer to see if anything comes out.

Do you know for sure what the plumbing is that feeds the pump?

Is it a single 1.5" line?
Good morning. I am not sure what you mean "use a pump to pull water from the skimmer". Can you please elaborate?

To answer your questions, there are two separate 1.5" lines. One comes from the spa to the pump (the "Spa Line") and the other comes from the pool to the pump (the "Pool Line"). The Spa Line has a flow about 2x the Pool Line. I think the Pool Line pulls from the main drain of the pool and the one skimmer (adjusted by a diverter valve located inside the skimmer).

Thanks for your help

A service company can bring a pump out to use as a vacuum similar to in the below video.

Put the vacuum hose in the hole in the bottom of the skimmer to vacuum out the lines.

Remove the regular pump lid so that the water only gets pulled through the skimmer line and not the whole system.

A service company can bring a pump out to use as a vacuum similar to in the below video.

Put the vacuum hose in the hole in the bottom of the skimmer to vacuum out the lines.

Remove the regular pump lid so that the water only gets pulled through the skimmer line and not the whole system.
Very helpful. Thanks for the video. Do you think its worth trying a drain king?

I don't think that a drain king will have enough flow to do anything since the pipe is not completely blocked.

Part of the problem is that the line is just too small for flow above about 38 gpm even if it's not clogged.

I have another question about my plumbing setup: I have a gas fired pool heater. My plumbing configuration has the water going through the pool heater 365 days a year. I only run the pool heater about 5 days a year. Should my plumbing be set up so that the water bypasses the pool heater when it is off? Thank you!

You do not need to set up a bypass but some do. A set of valves will be required and also to remember to open or close them depending if you wish bypass or to operate the heater. There is some concern that you could trap water in the heater if you have a bypass and still cause damage.

You do not need to set up a bypass but some do. A set of valves will be required and also to remember to open or close them depending if you wish bypass or to operate the heater. There is some concern that you could trap water in the heater if you have a bypass and still cause damage.
Thank you. I would have thought that running the water through the heater would put unnecessary drag on the flow and reduce the efficiency of the pump.

Thank you. I would have thought that running the water through the heater would put unnecessary drag on the flow and reduce the efficiency of the pump.
Yep, that is the positive side of the bypass is to improve flow performance and reduce some wear and tear on heater.
See this that was put in another post
Heater By-Pass

Heater Bypass - Further Reading

Reactions: BlueBaron

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is so helpful.
I read the post about heater bypass with great interest. And I am considering installing a heater bypass.. But I am confused by something about my existing plumbing. I have attached a picture of my solar valve setup. (I have rooftop solar heat panels as well as a gas heater). The attached picture shows the solar in the "off" position. My question is this. When the solar is "off", what is keeping the water from going into the two solar pipes (the ones marked 1 and 2) and up to the roof? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0952.jpeg
    IMG_0952.jpeg
    710.8 KB · Views: 6
The valve handle has a tab marked "Off".

To shut off the solar, the tab marked "Off" will be facing toward the pipe (180 degrees from where it is now) so that the internal gate blocks the solar supply pipe.

In the position it's in now, the solar won't get flow because there's an alternative path for the water to go that's easier.

The position it's in now will allow the panels to drain. Rotating 180 degrees will trap water in the panels. So, it's probably best to leave it like it is. Water will go in the pipes up a couple of feet but it won't go through the panels.

The position it's in now will allow the panels to drain. Rotating 180 degrees will trap water in the panels. So, it's probably best to leave it like it is. Water will go in the pipes up a couple of feet but it won't go through the panels.
Thank you so much. Super helpful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.