Newark/DE
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hello, I'm wondering what is going on with my pool. When I add chlorine to the pool, I immediately get a white cloud that spreads throughout the pool (gives a great visual as to water flow in the pool) and is then accompanied by a slight, but noticeable rise in pressure at the filter. It clears within 15-20 minutes and then back to crystal clear water. I did do an AA treatment at the beginning of the season and wondering if it is related. Is this the iron precipitating out as a result of the temporary rise in pH caused by the liquid chlorine and then going back in solution as the pH normalizes?
Very confused as to what is actually being captured by the filter.

I have had this happen with my pool. I was never able to figure out what causes it. It was almost like calcium precipitating but my calcium has never been higher than 200 so it doesn't make sense. A couple years ago, I was having this problem after adding Metal Magic and having calcium in the water. The white stuff was getting caught by my cartridge filter and it was just a mess for several weeks.

Here is a video from a couple years ago although this is not as bad as it was several weeks ago before I drained and refilled my pool.

And here's a video from early June showing the reaction I was getting whenever I added soda ash or Chlorine to the water.

Recently, however, before I drained almost 100% of my water, I would get a DENSE white cloud whenever I added chlorine or soda ash to raise pH. So, like you are seeing, it was definitely related to pH being raised. I think part of my problem was that my water chemistry was just way out of whack from years of high doses of Metal Magic (2 bottles per week for the past 3 years or so). As a result, my phosphate levels were thru the roof (over 5,000 ppb) and my pH was too low from the acidity of adding Metal Magic.

Now that I drained all my water, it no longer happens and my calcium is up to 220 so I'm not sure what to make of it. I can tell you that draining my water after a huge AA treatment is something I should have done years ago. My pool hasn't looked this good in a long time and my water chemistry is perfectly balanced.

Here's what the pool looks like now:
IMG_5705.jpeg

Last edited:
@JeanZ1, let me first start out by saying that we never add any chemicals directly to the skimmer like in that video, so please never consider doing that. When I hear that someone sees an immediate reaction when adding chlorine, the first question that comes to mind is what brand of chlorine did you add? Any chance it had any additives in the ingredients? Next question is all about the current levels. Can you post a full set of results? This may help us put together a better picture of why you are having such a reaction.

I just ran the full set of chemistries today. Results below. I've been pretty religious entering my data and additions into Pool Math this year if you need previous history.

I'm using Shock chlorinating liquid for pools and spas, 10%; no additional ingredients listed. I do also have some HDX chlorine and I will try that tomorrow to see if any different result.

FC 6.5
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 55
CH 325
CYA 40
CSI -0.26
That CH isn't all that high. But it cleared itself up anyway, right? I wouldn't sweat it, Mine took a couple hours to equalize and clear again.

Yes, it does clear up right away but it is precipitating something out because they're is always a corresponding rise in filter pressure. The end result is, since I have to add chlorine daily, I'm having to backwash about every 10 days. In previous years I backwashed maybe 2-3 times per season (May-Sept/Oct).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.