What makes TFP method the best?

Sep 5, 2016
New tripoli, PA
I just filled my pool last week. I’m just trying to understand the basic principals of water chemistry. What makes the TFP methods better than what other normal methods people might use? What is different about the TFP method? Does it matter if I have a SWG?

Great question! There's a few things, but for me, the top four reasons include:

FC/CYA ratio kept at the correct level to do the job, and also to minimize chlorine consumption, and to minimize the 'harsh' part of the chlorine.

Avoiding TA-acid roller coaster - raise TA to arbitrary industry standard, forcing you to drop pH more often, which reduces TA, causing you to raise TA... rinse-repeat, rinse-repeat... money escaping wallet for nothing

Maximizing plaster lifespan, and avoiding any risk of calcium scale, both of which hit the wallet

Avoiding pool store potions that are unnecessary, saving $20 to $40 each time, and avoiding the often worse unintended consequences that many of them cause, which can cost $100s of dollars to fix.

What is different about TFPC? It's been demonstrated in tens of thousands of pools and it's backed by sound science. TFPC is not based on maximizing chemical sales. A TFPC pool will not turn green unexpectedly (the day before a pool party).

It does not matter if you have a swg.

The TFP method is superior in that it empowers the pool owner to very specifically and easily maintain clear and sanitized water without unintended consequences or reliance on overpriced and often ineffective elixirs.

It’s the difference between taking a multivitamin to make disease go away versus having a blood test and specifically treating a disease with a known cure.

It is the difference between driving without glasses and driving with your glasses on ;) You get the idea.

That’s because TFP was founded on science that shows the relationship between cya and free chlorine — a ratio that should be kept at 7.5% to avoid unsanitary conditions and algae. Some of our founding members worked on research that is now commonly presented, discussed and adopted in the pool industry by associations.

The pool chem industry has been slower to adopt this science (although in recent years many in the industry are beginning to acknowledge this irrefutable research) because they have a dilemma. The products the produce for client convenience require cya to be stable and saleable...chlorine on its own cannot be made into powder format without either calcium or cya. But they feel customers won’t test and dose liquidchlorine daily...they demand products that are slow release and storable.

And just about every other product now manufactured is in response to problems that arise out of this “convenience.” Eg. Algaecide, enzymes, cal hypo Shock, etc. All designed to solve problems created by having too much stabilizer/CYA built up and not enough proportionate free chlorine.

So in truth, if mfgs supported TFP, they truly wouldn’t have much left to sell...just trade liquid chlorine, sequestrants, and maybe calcium. You can imagine what that would do to their profits.

TFP advocates only adding what your pool needs when you need it, and avoiding adding products for which you do not know the ingredients or their effects. That is what keeps TFP pools trouble free. If you always maintain your pool according to [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] then like me, you will truly never have to shock/slam SLAM Process your pool again.

5 min a day to keep you and your loved ones protected from waterborne illness, to avoid the hassle of algae, and to enjoy crystal clear water. It’s truly worth the learning curve imho ;)

This is a great response! To sum it up “science”!

It does not matter if you have a swg.

The TFP method is superior in that it empowers the pool owner to very specifically and easily maintain clear and sanitized water without unintended consequences or reliance on overpriced and often ineffective elixirs.

It’s the difference between taking a multivitamin to make disease go away versus having a blood test and specifically treating a disease with a known cure.

It is the difference between driving without glasses and driving with your glasses on ;) You get the idea.

That’s because TFP was founded on science that shows the relationship between cya and free chlorine — a ratio that should be kept at 7.5% to avoid unsanitary conditions and algae. Some of our founding members worked on research that is now commonly presented, discussed and adopted in the pool industry by associations.

The pool chem industry has been slower to adopt this science (although in recent years many in the industry are beginning to acknowledge this irrefutable research) because they have a dilemma. The products the produce for client convenience require cya to be stable and saleable...chlorine on its own cannot be made into powder format without either calcium or cya. But they feel customers won’t test and dose liquidchlorine daily...they demand products that are slow release and storable.

And just about every other product now manufactured is in response to problems that arise out of this “convenience.” Eg. Algaecide, enzymes, cal hypo Shock, etc. All designed to solve problems created by having too much stabilizer/CYA built up and not enough proportionate free chlorine.

So in truth, if mfgs supported TFP, they truly wouldn’t have much left to sell...just trade liquid chlorine, sequestrants, and maybe calcium. You can imagine what that would do to their profits.

TFP advocates only adding what your pool needs when you need it, and avoiding adding products for which you do not know the ingredients or their effects. That is what keeps TFP pools trouble free. If you always maintain your pool according to [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] then like me, you will truly never have to shock/slam SLAM Process your pool again.

5 min a day to keep you and your loved ones protected from waterborne illness, to avoid the hassle of algae, and to enjoy crystal clear water. It’s truly worth the learning curve imho ;)

Knowledge-is-Power-but-only-when-you-apply-it.jpg

It isn't a matter of adding such-and-such product as the pool stores tell you. Its knowing exactly what you need...and what you *don't* need in your pool.

Its the knowledge that pool store "Alkalinity Increaser" is the exact same ingredient as Arm and Hammer baking soda, at a fraction of the cost.

Its the learned ability over time and testing of just looking at your pool's shine and sparkle and if just slightly dull, you know what to do to fix it within hours and never does it turn cloudy and green.

It is enjoying spending so little on the pool, yet your water quality is far superior to all the neighbors who spend a fortune.

Maddie :flower:

Because if you follow the methods taught here you will have a trouble free pool. After 2 full seasons of using this method I have had nothing but crystal clear water and have saved a lot of money. I know what my pool needs and when it needs it. And it really is easy once you know the basics.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You don’t have to have a SWG, but the fact that you do have one means this is going to be even easier for you!

It all starts with buying a great test kit. Then you test your own water, which takes a few minutes. Then you know exactly what you need to do to keep pool safe and clean, without adding a bunch of mystery chemicals.

I went to Pinch a Penny the other day - to buy a pool float! I hadn’t been in the store in over two years. :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.