What magical tool am I missing?

Our pool builder came by and fixed our S7D75 filter he turned the union right to tighten so we need to turn left to loosen (I had the same eye view as in your photo). Other people have responded with the opposite so I'm still confused but now I know which way MY union collar turns to loosen. He hand tightened only. He said to use a dryer vent brush to clean while hosing down so that you don't have to remove it. If you need a big cleaning then you need to have someone hold the top portion while you turn the union collar to support the weight.

ETA: My mechanic husband considers my left turn a right, but he was looking at it from the top. If you sit on your butt in front of the union collar at eye level with the thing (draw an eye on the union collar to stare at and freak your neighbors out) then put both hands on the ground at each side; it would turn towards your left hand. Might be a good moment to also fold your hands and say a prayer if you're in to that kind of thing.
If you're standing up looking down like my husband was, you'd turn it clockwise (right) and tell your wife that she was wrong so you get an eye roll in return.

Note: if your pool builder forgets to bring back your air bleed when he took the filter to clean it, you will get DE into the pool when you backwash. The DE goes thru the little open hole that the air bleed sits on. It's a $20 part but pretty important I guess.

Last edited:
I made another attempt with a buddy and the strap wrench and just couldn't make it happen. I tried turning both directions and started to get worried I was going to damage something, so for now I'm going to just clean with the dryer vent brush and hose and hope I don't need to replace a screen in the near future. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.