what looks like rust stians inside fiberglass pool....

aim

Jul 29, 2007
middletown nj
Hello

I'm hoping someone can tell me how to get what looks like rust spots inside my fiberglass pool also my tiles that I had put on the pool are also stained. I just had this pool put in October 2007. It is a saltwater pool and I opened the pool up on Thursday it was green now it is clear but I see rust spots. I took the water to be tested at Leslie Pools here are the test results:
The test results are from Friday since then I've added a gallon of bleach a day to this pool
TAC: 0
FAC: 0
Water PH 8.1
Total Alkalinity: 120
Calcium Hardness: 310
CYA: 50
Total Dissolved Solids 3000
Salt: 3.2
If someone can give me some idea how to get the stains out I would appreciate it.

Hold a vitamin c tablet on the stains. If they disappear in about 30 seconds then follow the sticky on using ascorbic acid to remove metal stains.
IF they don't then your stain is not iron. (Iron staining is very common in fiberglass pools and often either comes from your fill water or using food grade salt which contains iron salts as anti caking agents.)

While you are at it you might want to take a few minutes to read the sticky on water balance for SWGs. You might find it helpful.

Solar salt wont cause the staining. It's what I use in my fiberglass pool. It might be coming from your fill water or the rusting of something metal in the pool. Check any exposed screws. Sometimes they are a very cheap grade of stainless or not stainless at all and can rust. Just replace them with stainless ones and you won't have further problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.